Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah, I'm a total fumble-futz, and the idea of going that far under the hood on my MBA scares the crap out of me. I have the current model 11" MBA. For a variety of reasons, I haven't done much with it since purchasing. I would like to make it my primary Mac--but in order to do that, I would really want to have the 480GB SSD from OWC (Yeah, I know the drive is nearly the price of the entire MBA I have now--but I can afford it).

I see the videos on the OWC site showing how "easy" it is to install..unfortunately, nothing comes "easy" with my klutzy fingers and aging eyes. It doesn't seem as if OWC does installations. Is there some other reliable company that does?

If not, would be interested in hearing some real-life stories from those who have gone and violated their warranty, and what potential tricky parts might be involved if I were to do the installation myself. Thanks.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
1. It's pretty easy.
2. If you are a "fumble-futz" and "the idea of going that far under the hood on my MBA scares the crap out of" you, then I would not do it. It's one of those things that if you lack the confidence to pull it off, you are probably better staying away.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I read a post about someone having an iMac shipped to OWC so they would put in dual drives. You should contact them and see if they would install the drive for a small fee. I would think they do.

francis21

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
Mississauga, ON, Canada
I myself have installed an OWC Mercury Aura Pro 6G SSD on my 2011 11" MBA.

If you believe that you can do it on your own, then go for it and install it yourself. The instructional videos from OWC really says it all. Follow the steps, and you'll be fine.

Just watch out on taking the SSD from your MBA, because you might break it. So just be gentle with it.

I was scared too when I opened my MBA, but as a Computer Science student, I gotta do these things from time to time, especially that this is my first-personally owned Mac.

Just relax and focus on doing your upgrades and everything will be fine. :)

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
It is incredibly easy. I just bought another Air for one of my faculty members and switched out the 128 MB drive for the 256 OWC. Piece of cake, and they send you the tools to do it with the drive.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Quite to the contrary, OWC offers a full range of installation services performed by Apple Certified Technicians. Contact us at 1(800)275-4576 for details and pricing.

Agreed. If one has the money to buy a 480 GB blade for their MBA, I'm sure the cost of having a professional do it won't send you to the poor house. That said, there is something to be said for installing your own hardware. Sort of like a source of pride.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.