How difficult is it to find software for the Palm and Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gary King, May 31, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

How difficult is it to find software for the Palm and Mac? I'm going to be getting a Mac soon but don't want to lose any desktop Palm capabilities because of it.

Thanks!

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've had a Palm/Mac combo since the days of the Palm III, but the only 3rd party app I really use is Docs To Go (for Word and Excel compatibility). Any specific apps you need for your Palm?

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

afaik, the only thing you lose is the realplayer (if you have a media enabled palm).

i am not positive, but i also think the "send to handheld" doesn't work on macs.

but otherwise, you're golden.

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I have a Palm Zire 71 with mp3 by Real and video by Kinoma.
    To get my mp3's on a SD card i use with my palm I just copy the mp3's in to the 'AUDIO' folder on the card. Realplayer picks them up and plays them without a problem.
    For kinoma there is an app to convert the movies to the handheld format (same app as on PC).
    No problem there, for me.
    One of the apps installed with the palm installer (4.2.1) is 'Send To Handheld'. Just drop the files on the icon and it will copy them to the internal memory of the palm on next hotsync.
    No copying to the card (not that i know of, i allways put larger files on my SD card with an external card reader).
    It is nice, the palm thing.

If there is one app you should look in to it's shadowplan, ideal for putting notes, idea's, schedules, projects on your palm. Tell them i sent you! kidding, there's no affiliation ;)

Edit: as for other apps (both palm and mac) www.versiontracker.com is always worth checking out. Just pull down the list next to the search field.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

neat, i never realized that.

i second the vote for versiontracker.

also, give handango.com a look-see, some stuff is $$$ but there are occasional good free apps there.

6. josemuniznyc macrumors newbie

I have a zire 72 and the 'Send to Handheld' droplet Does let you specify sending the file to the memory card. Plus when I drop mp3s onto the droplet it automatically sends the file to the right place on the card.

Generally, most software works, the only problem you might have is when an application's download file is encoded in a weird format, just look for a .zip and extract the .prc file.