how diverse is your family, your city, your county?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in my family, there is japanese, italian, okinawan, english, irish, scottish, german, russian, greek, macedonian, jewish, african american, and lithuanian

the city where i live is about 99 percent white and probably more than 90 percent english descent...some say i sometimes have an english accent but that more likely comes from me having lived there and having had an english girlfriend from york ;)

the county i live is more than half white, a strong showing of hispanic and latinos, some african americans, and virtually no native americans

but the greater bay area to the north and the los angeles and san diego area to the south is stronger with spanish speaking people and i kick myself almost every day for not taking spanish in middle school and high school

after i got my 4 year degree in hr at a b-school, almost every hr job out there required that i speak spanish

2. vniow macrumors G4

Let's see.......most of my family is white, there's some Cherokee blood in there somewhere but it's like 1/32 or something small like that, one of my uncle's wife is from Japan and they have three kids I think and one of my cousins (who is old enough to be my aunt) married a black guy (who used to keep a couple tankfuls of alligators![​IMG]) and they adopted a girl, then later had one of their own.

And all that's on my dad's side (except for the Cherokee I think) my mom's side is all white as far as I know except for my adopted uncle who is from the Phillipenes.

There's some Irish blood on my mom's side also I think.

My city (more of a small town really) is about 99.9% white except for some tourists that pass through, and the town I used to live in before this one was about the same, however, when I lived in the city (OKC) it was pretty diverse and I miss that now that I've spent a few years in the country, it just seems like there's more to choose from in most cities than the country, in my experience, the reasons that most people give to move out into the country aren't worth the INCREDIBLE BOREDOM that exists here, or maybe I'm just a city girl, I don't know.[​IMG]

Santa Cruz county is fairly diverse I guess, mostly white out in the suburb areas, but more diverse as you go farther into the city, the more diverse it gets.

Am I making any sense here?

3. diorio macrumors 6502a

I live in Co Springs, so it is mostly white. The hispanic population is growing, as is the african american population. My family is all adriatic.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Family:
    White as far as I know...Mayflower...John Hancock...stuff like that.

City/County:
    The whole San Diego/ Tijuana area is an interesting mix of California and Mexico...so pretty diverse. Plenty of people from all over the Pacific, Europe, etc all end up here. I love it!

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm in Los Angeles, so of course we have people of every culture. Our school district has students who speak over 100 (maybe over 150) different languages.

We are spoiled by having people of all backgrounds everywhere we turn. We get used to the variety. I have neighbors of all backgrounds and religions. I can find any kind of ethnic food if I drive in any direction.

It is true that people who took other than Spanish in high school are often sorry they didn't take Spanish, the "more practical" language in L.A.

When I'm in other cities, I'm often shocked that everyone looks and sounds the same!

6. GrandShenlong macrumors member

I'm 100% mainland Chinese
    School: largest in MI, English, black, Hispanic, Chinese (few), Korean (more), Japanese (very rare), German, Russian, Lithuanian, Irish, Swedish, Dutch (almost typed "Hollish":p), etc. etc.

Yeah. Diverse. Very liberal, which can be irksome at times.

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

wow. jump in on the political threads if you have not already ;)

your sat score is amazing...you are ivy bound if you so choose...20+ yrs ago at my hs, we had someone score in the low 14s who chose not to go to college until much later and did only 2 yrs and dropped out and became very successful instead but his score was a record at the public hs...but there were private hs kids that did 15, but i never heard of 1550 on west coast

you can go to harvard and swap stories with john123 here:D

8. marcsiry macrumors member

Not sure why the SAT score is relevant here. I could post how much money I make, which I'm reasonably sure is more than most people on this board, but what purpose would it serve other than to piss some people off?

Anyhow, I'm half Puerto Rican, half Dominican, and 100% New Yorker :) My wife is Nisei Japanese from Los Angeles. We live in Manhattan, which is as diverse as it gets.

..and we're both Mac users, as our future kids will be too, dammit!

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the sat score is not related to this thread, i just noticed it on the poster's sig below and my eyes fell out...that's a good score for a 16 year old kid

if you try and force your kids to go mac, they might rebel and become pc users:p

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

My Mom, was Cherokee and Irish, Dad is Irish and Seoux. So, I have a lot of Native American blood in me. It doesn't show on me the way it did on my mom though.

Rest of the family is the same. We have family that have married Asian, and African Americans, so I would like to say we are diverse.

My city, 70% white, 30% black. Great place, and lots of culture. Mercedes Benz has a factory here, and they have brought a lot of culture here.

My country. different per area.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

New Orleans...heh

ok...where do I begin?

New Orleans...70% black.
    I live in Kenner techincally, a suburb. The suburbs are predominately white.

There is a big Hispanic community here also.

Lots of diversity & closed-mindedness, in my opinion though.

My family...
    Mom's side all goes back to the old country in Sicily. Dad's side is mixed (German/French/Spanish).

I look Italian for sure...but I'm a Heinz 57 blend... ;)

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm from South Central Illinois which is extremely diverse if you consider the subtle differences between one white corn-bred person and the next white orn-bred person.

Actually there are some people of color here, including black, a small amount of Asians, and a very few Jewish people.

My family is white (German, Hungarian, Scottish mix) while I am an adopted half Indian/half Irish mutt. (Real Indian, not Native American).

13. JustAGuy macrumors member

lemme see, my city (Van, BC) is about 50-60% white, 30-40% asian (mostly mainland china), 10-20% Indian and then a smattering of other races/cultures including native, french-canadian, just plain french, various europeans, etc.

The regional district i live in (Cdn equiv. of a US county) is even more diverse, seeing as it includes both Richmond (pre-dominately asian) and Surrey (high Indian pop).

As a result, this has to be one of the best cities to live in if you're into multiculturalism--especially the cuisine aspect. Only out here are sushi restaurants even more popular than coffee shops (and we have a lot of coffee shops--think seattle)...

14. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I live in Utah. I think we have a black family now. ;)

Utah's moving up the diversity ladder!

P-Worm

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I personally can't stand the bubble "race" questionairs on some tests and forms...

The current population of the earth is 6.246 Billion people.

The population in "Asia," excluding the pacific rim (arguably part of Australia), is 3.66 Billion.

Just shy of 60% of the people on this planet have to fill in the "Asian" bubble!

That's awfully silly if you ask me.

16. JustAGuy macrumors member

And 50% have to fill in the Male bubble... what's your point, exactlyl? Race is a perfectly valid demographic stat to gather.

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Let's see, I'm 50% Calabrian, 12.5% German and 37.5% Scottish. My city has a fairly large hispanic population but is by no means a model of diversity.

One branch of my family is one of those massive sterotypical extended Italian families. We're all white folk. My sister in law is Pakistani though.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was in Salt Lake City last November and went to the Mormon temple for a tour. I know very little about the Latter-day Saints and their religion and just wanted to learn a bit. Our tourguides were both Europeans who were there for religious training. I saw non-whites here and there, but I think they were mostly the tourists. In any case, everyone was extremely polite. Most interesting parts of the tour: the tabernacle and the genealogy research center.

19. wwworry macrumors regular

Queens is the most diverse city in the world with 158 nationalities and 110 languages spoken. We all get along pretty well. It means there are a lot of really great restaurants, bakeries and interesting looking people. Just walking to the corner store is always a treat. Also, within three blocks is a grocery store, 2 produce vendors, 4 banks, a CVS, a 24 hour Genovese Pharmacy, 3 bakeries, a subway station, a Radio Shack, a Blockbuster Video, a Dunkin Doughnuts, a Twin Doughnut, 2 Florists, many delis and more.

Not only is it diverse, it's incredibly convienient. I hardly ever have to drive.

20. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I live in a diverse world where people like to compartmentalise.

Myself and my family are not diverse.
    That must make me....
    a. racist
    or
    b. irrelevant

:confused:

21. wwworry macrumors regular

22. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Damn Right, but which liberal nitpick of a box would that be?

23. wwworry macrumors regular

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. I thought you were neither racist or irrelevant.

24. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Well, my family isn't very diverse...mostly European (Irish, Scottish, French/English and German) with a rumored smidgeon of Native American (which, judging from the family members I've met, is probably just a story my grandmother made up).

I live in Chicago, which is probably the most diverse place in the midwest and competes very well with LA and New York in diversity.

I do have some complaints about Chicago, though. Segregation is rampant here as a result of gentrification and absolutely no rent control in most neighborhoods. As a result, the loop, river west and north, the near north and north side are pretty un-diverse. This is somewhat dissappointing, but not unlike most major cities these days. Gentrification (while I don't think its all bad, just in need of some control) is ruining the diversity of many neighborhoods in all the major cities.

A perfect example in Chicago is Wicker Park on the near NorthWest side. About a decade ago, it was a hugely diverse neighborhood that was the artistic heart of the city. The rent was cheap enough that artists could live and work in the same section of the city along side a diverse range os city-folk. Within the last decade, the neighborhood has gentrified and rents have soared. It is now in the top 5 most expensive neighborhoods in the city resembling the also-gentrified SoHo in NY. This has pushed most of the artists out and a bunch of yuppie condo owners in. The surrounding neighborhoods are still quite diverse (Logon Square, Humboldt Park and Ukrainian Village are all quite ethnic neighborhoods), but Wicker Park itself is becoming less and less diverse as the last of the buildings go condo and the last few reasonably priced apartments are rehabbed and re-priced.

Hopefully the gentrification trend will simmer down in the coming years. I mean how many yuppies can there be??

BTW--I would probably be considered quite the yuppie myself...something I'm hoping to change in the near future. There are a lot of neighborhoods in the city outside the "safe" north side. I've been exploring them lately and they seem like much more vibrant communities than the Starbucks patronizing, Jetta driving trixies and yuppies of the high-rent north side.

Taft

25. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

don't wwworry, be happy

I think that time is the only solution and no one can rush the process. If I seem a little annoyed it's because I think too many people are trying to form the way I live and think. The problem is, their change is made by law and the pressures of guilt (a lot like a religion would do things) television and the P.C. movement. The times I notice this most are when I feel down about myself and the whole world, my usual solution is to switch off the T.V. and the radio and avoid anything that resembles "on the hour" reporting of how crap the world and its contents are today. I would like to have 16 proper conversations in a day not get spouted 16 HYPER NEWS reports running us all down one by one compartment by compartment. Switch off the news for one working week and I promise the world starts to feel much better, any news good or bad and someone here will mention it. Good or bad you'll only have to read it once. Also, because I've not been watching too much news I have had pleanty of good feeling to spare I've sent it to the lost souls on the Space Shuttle, I heard about it first on this forum before it hit the news in the U.K. Feeling good spreads undetected much like yawning, speaking off which I'm sure I sound a little dull by now. Anyway, I come here to find peoples opinion on everything. I think you're all lovely for spending time here too.