How do I access files like in those old Apple commercials?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phreakout13, Sep 27, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/melinda.mov
    Can I access remote files with OS X like in those old PowerBook commercials? The only way I could think of doing that would be to e-mail yourself files in advance or something. How could I set my Aluminum Powerbook to fetch any files I like from my eMac over the internet? Thanks:)

2. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

I don't see exactly what she's doing, but isn't it just a little Cmd + K in the finder?

3. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

remote access

well, there's a plethera of ways to access remote files. First, you could enable FTP access to your mac @ home, open a port in your firewall, enable port forwarding. You could also enable personal file sharing (SSH) and SSH into your machine (same steps as above, just open and forward SSH ports instead of FTP) Next, you would want to set up a DynDNS (Or whoever else has DDNS) account, so you can find your home computer's IP. If you really needed to be "on" your desktop machine, try VNC (or ARD). Hope this helps.

4. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Okay, I've done this and entered the IP in command-K. You're saying that as long as I'm connected to the internet, I can access any files from a remote computer that's 1000 miles away as if I was networked in the same building with it?

5. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Yes, if it's set up properly, then it should work. It should be noted, some ISP's might have a problem with this, and might be blocking ports. If it's networked properly, distance dosen't matter, just conectivity. The FTP option is prob. the easiest, unless you're good @ the command line, then I'd go with SSH. You can use Nmap to verify the ports are open. I have had better luck with opening a web browser (navigate to your IP), than with CMD-K.

6. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

The advantage of SSH is the encryption of your traffic. You can do SFTP as well when running the SSH server. Many FTP clients such as Cyberduck do SFTP also. No need for commandline...

SSH gives you full access to the remote machine (run programs there), whereas FTP only allows file transfers (hence the name)

7. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Hey Lexfuzo,
    do you know how to get remote Apps to run on the local screen through a SSH session?? I had this working with Fedora, but can't seem to make it happen in OSX. In Fedora, I could SSH in (through X11) and run any app (on the Fedora PC), with the display piped to my X11 window on my Mac. I've been trying to make that work on my Mac (Mac to Mac) for way too long now.. I would love to not have to VNC into my Mini every time I need to launch a single app, just launch it from X11....

8. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

It should work for X11-apps when you set
    X11Forwarding yes
    in /etc/sshd_config of the remote host (the "server")

9. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Ok, for one, your eMac that is holding the files needs to be hooked up to a high speed connection and have the ability to be accessed from the internet (also note that IP address or save it in the GUI SSH clients I mention in a bit). Turn on SSH under Sharing in the System Preferences for the eMac. Then use Fugu from another Mac, http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/, or the GUI SSH for Windows, http://ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshellwks/non-commercial.html. Now you can get and send files to your eMac. All you need to do is type in the ip address, the username on the mac sharing the files, the password when prompted, then you will see your files. Simple.