How do I add extra separators to the Dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeyWord, Nov 5, 2006.

1. MikeyWord macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have received a New MacBook this weekend (First Mac, wonderful) and I'm wondering how can I add extra separators to the Dock? (To organize applications and such). I have seen some people do it in screenshots. Another question (If I may) how do I increase the Dock's transparency?

Thanks =)

2. MikeyWord thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh.. one more question. I see some people have changed their HDD icon on their desktop to a picture of their particular mac. Which folder are these icons kept in?

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

For changing the Dock, get Transparent Dock, that lets you change the transparency/colour etc. (not sure about the separators though)

For changing icons, get Candybar, I haven't used it personally, but it seems to be what everyone here recommends.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The separators are blank icons – Max Themes has a set you can download, once you have them just drag them into position on your dock as you would any other app.

As for the icons – there aren't actually any sets of computer icons included on the Mac, so you'll have to download an icon to use. A good place to start would be the Magnus Opus set over at widget:widget which is a huge collection of Apple hardware icons.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Transparent Dock is unfortunately only available for PPC Macs at this stage, however Clear Dock'll get rid of the background for you. As far as I'm aware, it'll turn it off completely so it won't let you adjust it to a different level of transparency, but I don't use it so I may be wrong. :eek:

Another good way to change an individual icon is to click on the downloaded Mac icon, press COMMAND-I to get the Get Info page up, select the icon in the top of this page, press COMMAND-C to copy it, select the icon you want to change, press COMMAND-I for the Get Info page, select the icon in the top and press COMMAND-V to paste it over the top. If ever you want to revert back to your old icon, you can just delete the pasted one. :)

6. MikeyWord thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys =) You have cleared those questions right up.

Your help is much appreciated

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    As for icons, the best place I've found thus far is Interfacelift.com. They have the most outstanding collection of high-res Mac OS X icons, and also a stunning archive of desktop backgrounds.