How do I archive my new Panther CDs?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by JetPilot, Oct 29, 2003.

1. JetPilot macrumors newbie

So, I just bought Panther and I want to archive my precious originals. How do I make bootable copies? I know I was able to copy Jaguar, but forget how I did it.

I have G4 MDD with A04 superdrive and Toast 5.2.1. I can boot into OS9 if need be. Also have a G3 beige and Yamaha SCSI 8/4/24 burner if that helps.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd use Disk Copy to make disk images (dmg) of each CD, then put all 4 images on to 1 DVD to backup.

3. JetPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

DVD?

You can't boot from DVD so what good is backup? :confused: To be a real backup it must work like original, i.e. be bootable.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: DVD?

Ok then, I thought you just wanted a backup, and this would be it. When ever you wanted a new set you could just burn the dmgs back to CD and install from there. If you want to make copies, the best way would still be probably to make images using Disc Copy, then burn the image to CD, this should keep them bootable.

5. JetPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

Great theory! But.....

Great theory! But I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done it. :D Anybody????

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why don't you just try it???? It's only 1 CD you've wasted if it doesn't work, what does that cost? 20 pence? :rolleyes:

7. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Re: Great theory! But.....

I always do this with every piece of software I get. I love the MacOS for it.

Disk copy makes an identical copy of the disc if you use New...Image from Drive or Device. Name them exactly the same as what the original disk is called.

I back the dmg's up to a dvd and then i make the cds. I have installed Panther from my "backup" cds with no problems.

It does work.

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

Why not just use Toast and make cd copies of the 3 Panther disks?

Of course you shouldn't share your copies with anyone!

9. dbally macrumors member

Just a side note . . . Disk Copy isn't available in Panther. Its capabilities were integrated into Disk Utility, so you are still able create and burn .dmg's.

10. LgNN macrumors newbie

yeah, i have the same doubt,
    how do i make a copy of Phanter in *.dmg bootable?

11. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Cough *** Cough :)

:)

Sorry, I am being sketptical.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've never heard of a bootable .dmg (how exactly would that be possible?), but making copies to a set of CDs will cost you a tiny sum of money and is easy.

As MacBoyX said, be sure to make an image of the *device* not just the volume. I believe in the new Panther Disk Utility, you do that by clicking on the drive icon while the CD is mounted (not just the CD volume icon) in the left section of the window, then selecting "make image" from the menu.

That'll create a disk image (not .dmg, I think--probably .iso or something like that), which you can then burn to a CDR to get a fully bootable disk--it should work fine, and I've gotten it to work with earlier installers and even Windows install disks (completely legally, I might add).

I suppose if you don't feel like burning the CDs, you can just save the disk images somewhere and burn CDs if you ever need them, too.

13. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

It works. I only installed Panther off my backups. I never use the original cd. Make sure you do a DMG of the device, not just copy the files. This includes all hidden and boot files.

too tired to make it pretty....macboyX

14. JetPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!!

Using Toast 5 Copy I created an image on the HD. Then selected Disk Image under Other and dragged the HD image to the window and burned a copy. It booted in my Lombard PB.

15. Ajmbc macrumors regular

All you really have to do is click copy in toast, insert your panther disc, and start the burn. When it makes the temporary image, it will eject the panther disc and prompt you for a cd-r/rw. Much easier in my opinion than making an image and burning it- and there is no disc space taken up.

=ajmbc

16. wadunn macrumors newbie

Re: Great theory! But.....

It worked for me.
    ymmv

17. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Sorry, this doesn't work. I loaded the new Panther Disk Utility, inserted my Panther Disc 1. If I click on the CD drive itself (or the session on the drive, it doesn't matter), then click New Image, it creates an empty Disk Image (.DMG file). It seems that Apple has eliminated the basic functionality that existed in Disk Copy on Jaguar.

Bastards... :D Panther is a great OS, but why does it seem like Apple is getting more and more DRM friendly. Limiting our ability to backup our own purchased software is not very cool.

Also, I don't own Toast, so does anyone know how to copy a CD without Toast?

Thanks in advance for your help.

18. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Ok, I know, bad form to reply to your own post, but I figured it out. You have to select the session, not the device, in Disk Utility. Then, click on the "Images" menu, then select "New", then select "Image from disk1s1".

Images|New|Image from disk1s1.

Choose where you want to save the image, then let Disk Utility do it's magic. After the image is done, burn it to a disc.

I hope this helps someone.

I'm kind of surprised that Apple decided to hide this functionality so deep in the menus. It's a far cry from the old days when Apple had the "Rip, Mix, Burn" ad campaign rolling.

19. Vojvoda macrumors newbie

Disk size

Alrightie boys and girls, I just attempted to burn a copy of the Panther instalation disk 1 from an image on my HD and my Disk Copy utility keeps coming back with a message that a 700MB disk isn't large enough to burn this.

I saw some of you here mentioned actually burning a copy and succesfully booting from that copy... How did you manage to get around the little disk size issue?

Thanks