How do I assign B&F buttons to the keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ddyracer, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

So, i know that the standard back and forward is command and [ to go back and ] to go forward.

Question is how do i assign it as a hotkey on the keyboard? Like put it on a f key? I do have it assigned as a hotkey on my mouse but i don't like it.

2. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

System Preferences -> Keyboard ->Keyboard Shortcuts

Select Application Shortcuts and click +

Select your application (Safari?) and enter your desired shortcut for Back. Do the same for Forward.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Thanks. I forgot about that.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Just tried this. It works but not how i want it. I think you misunderstood. I actually want to rebind command [ and command ] to a DIFFERENT key like f18 for instance. Not possible in System Preferences.

5. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

I guess I'm still confused. In Safari (for example), command+[ corresponds to Back and command+] to Forward. If I want to use just a single keypress for Back, I can use the method in my previous post to bind Back to the left-arrow key (for example). Then I can simply press that left-arrow key to go back, instead of pressing command+[. (A function key could be used instead of the left-arrow.) These modifications work for me, but maybe I'm still misunderstanding what you want.

6. Ddyracer, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

You know i think its i who doesnt understand. So you rebinded command [ which is the back button to the left arrow key on your keyboard. Great, wheres the option to do this? I can only assign to a app then put in the key. Wont let me rebind.

I got it to work. I needed to put back and forward in the menu title then put my hotkey in. U didn't say this. Also, i couldn't get f19 to work so i'm using f17 and f18 as foward and back set as all applications.

Damn i good.

7. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Well, it does say "Enter the exact name of the menu command you want to add" right below the Menu Title box. :)

In any case, I'm glad you got it working.

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Aw quit arguing. Its so small I looked over it.