How do I automatically connect to PC...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tanda4, Oct 29, 2006.

1. tanda4 macrumors newbie

Each time I restart or shut the lid the server connection is lost and have to goto Finder > Go > Connect to Server > Enter in Server info, etc.

How can I get OSX to automatically connect to a PC networked drive each time the computer is restarted or wakes from sleep? Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Automator is your friend. Just set the actions and save them as an application. Put them in your login items folder and keep them somewhere easily accessible. Then, run the "app" each time you wake from sleep to reconnect. If you're feeling particularly ambitious, you can even get them to auto-run on a wake event.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Does it work if you drag the drive icon that you set up into the dock, right click on it and tick on 'Open at Login'?

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I have automator set to mount my drives, but I never thought to set them as an auto-run on wake event. It sounds like a brilliant idea. But, I have no idea how to do this... could you please explain? Thanks for the help!

5. tanda4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was trying to play with Automator last night, but didn't get anywhere. Any suggestions on setting this up?

I tried doing that, but each time I restart or close the lid, the link is missing and does not work.

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

There's a sample Applescript floating around the Internet that executes on a system wake event. If you Google for "applescript run wake' it should turn up--I'm not on my Mac right now, so I can't remember the exact calls.

Everything you need to do is in the Finder section. It should be fairly straightforward--just look through the preconfigured actions for the 'connect to server' function and fill in the required information (I remember my basic connect setting involving two steps--yours might as well). If you have multiple drives, insert a pause between each so that it doesn't time out. Without knowing more about your configuration, I can't really give you a step-by-step tutorial. Good luck!