How do I "backup" all my files before I sell my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stateofmind, Apr 3, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2007
    I want to have all my files and applications on a dvd so after I sell my mac and get the new mac I can have my old material at hand. I would have used migration assistant but I wont have both computers at the same time. I also dont have an external hard drive to use time machine on.

Im running on OS X 10.5.2
  2. macrumors regular

Feb 29, 2008
    burn all the files you'd like to save (archive) onto a cd or dvd as Data. You can also use external hd, thumb drive. If you're buying a new mac and got an apple store or reseller near you I think they'll backup everything for you and put it on your new mac free I believe from what I saw myself on the apple website. If you are going to buy a used mac, then you don't have many options just what I listed above and whatever anyone else posts after me. Unless you want to pay out of your pocket and buy a new hd and install that one and pull the current one out and put that in the mac you get afterwards. You can also ask a friend, relative or someone you know to backup your files on their computer temporarily until you get your mac then transfer the files back once you sell your current mac and get the new one too.
  3. macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2008

I suggest, you buy an external hard disk. Not only will you be able to clone your current Mac onto it, using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, but you'll also have a drive to backup your new Mac with Time Machine.

External storage is really cheap and it'll give you a safety net (aka Time Machine) for your new Mac.

4. macrumors demi-god

Oct 16, 2006
    This is my exact thoughts, I love TM, I have back ups and I can restore them on to another computer.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2007
    How would I do this? I have 2gb worth of music and several documents I would like to save.
  6. macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006
    Insert a DVD and then drag the files onto it. Then burn the disk