how do i backup my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisH3677, Nov 6, 2003.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2003
    Victoria, Australia
    Ok. I've had enough of the continual glugging out of my mac. every day I have to reboot because programs start throwing up the beachball and it won't go away. even system preferences and process viewer.

I figure it's coz I have 10.2.8 and i've loaded so many little system add ons.

I used to do the same thing in my windoze daze and have the same problem.

But then I knew what to backup and how to restore it. I'm only 2 mths old on the mac.

1) How and what do I backup and then how do I restore it? (i.e. which directories and files)

2) I also use FinalCut Express. Will I have to re-link all my movies???

3) Is it possible to wipe the system without wiping data? And then reinstall the system?

thanks heaps

PS Or if someone could just tell me how to work out what's causing these glugups, I'd appreciate it.
  2. Squire macrumors 68000

Jan 8, 2003
    That's happened to me before, too. From reading these forums, though, I learned to check/repair the disk permissions in disk utility. Worked great after that.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    It's certainly possible that those little add-ons are causing the "glugups". (nice word btw ;) ) To reinstall the system without wiping the data, choose the "Archive and install" option.
  4. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2003
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks Squire. I do run the repairs quite regularly but probably haven't for a week or so, but had forgotten this time.

I've given it a final chance. I've run repairs again.

Counterfit, does that preserve all the apps I've added to the applications directory? And as it's called Archive dopes it copy all my stuff to a compressed file?

Thansk! It's a good word. I wanted to say "hang" but that's a PC word and it's not really a hang as the whole is not affected.

Does anyone know if there's any website that tells you what the Installation disk does and all it's options? (with screenshots?)
    I've never been game to run the Install because I didn't know if it would get carried away and trash my system!