How do I backup raw files from my Canon HG20?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chiefroastbeef, May 24, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sorry for such a newbie question, I've googled this but haven't found anything solid.

I have been transcoding all my avchd from imovie or FCE, and never backed up the original raw files. But now space is becoming an issue, and I have to change my workflow. I will transcode everything to AIC, back up the raw files from the Canon, and delete all the AIC after the project, and saving the raw files for future use.

The problem is, the ImageMixer that comes with the Canon is Windows only, what is the best way to back up on OS X?

Many many thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

arjen92

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

All I have to do is make a .dmg of the .mts files correct? None of the other stuff in the other folders?

Thank you again.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just answered my own question, backing up .mts files is enough, since that is all I need to transcode from .mts to .mov with Cineform Neo Scene transcoder.

Thank you again!

5. macrumors G3

rhett7660

This question was also brought up in this thread:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707675

Here is a good post about it:

I included the whole clip since it is pretty good.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for the post, I highly appreciate it, I actually came across that post during my search, but didn't read through the whole thing.

I have one question though, what is the reason for saving the entire structure of the HD/Flash memory card? The .mts files in the Stream folder isn't enough? There are a lot of folders, including "clipinf," what do they do?

Thank you so much!