How do I boot Win XP Home from a CD

Discussion in 'Community' started by applefan, Jun 17, 2004.

1. applefan macrumors regular

I just downloaded and burned (as a bootable CD) to CD SUSE Linux 9.1 Live CD. The site says you can boot from the CD and run/test the OS without downloading it to your HD.

My problem is, my PC won't boot from the CD I burned. I only see a blank screen with a blinking prompt in the top left

Any advise will be appreciated.

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

you will have to go into the bios on start up and change the primary boot device from the floppy to the cd drive. to get into the bios you will press something like f12 upon start up. it will say on the screen somewhere. if you dont really know what you are doing i dont think it is a good idea for you to try changing settings. then for you to get it to boot from the cd, restart the computer with the cd in and then it will boot off it!

3. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

also. I strongly suggest red hat. I got Suse and it has absolutely no driver support for hardware. Be advised - its horrible.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

5. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You!

Thank you all for your replies. I'm writing this in Konqueror, so I've found a solution, an ironic solution.

After making three new coasters with my PC, I was ready to give up, But I thought I'd try one more thing. I downloaded the ISO image to my Powerbook and burned it to CD using Disk Utility. I popped it in my PC and voila; it booted from the CD with no problem.

How do you like that, I fail three times trying to create a bootable CD on my PC for my PC, but my Powerbook creates a bootable CD for my PC first time.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm really glad you found your solution! That kind of situation can always be a big hassle. Thank goodnes you have those computers at your disposal!

7. Independence macrumors regular

I'm guessing, on the PC, that you didn't burn the image to the CD but rather the file itself. Common mistake. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Windows.

Anyway, I hope you like Linux. I'll be migrating my Windows 2000 Pro machine to Gentoo Linux shortly. Still thinking of what I'm going to do with my old Thinkpad, however.

8. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Consider using CD-RW's instead in the future ;)

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...how to boot xp cd? - hold cd in hand...put arm straight out at shoulder height...take foot back...drop cd from hand and quickly bring foot forward......then let us know how far it goes....oh yeah!