how do i build a super computer?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andyjamesnelson, Sep 1, 2003.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

so i have read the article about that company buying like 1100 dual g5's and making a super computer. but how? how do you get them to run with each other? can i do it at home? say if i buy two dual g5's can i get them to run together? does Osx support this? or do they have two build there own OS as well?

and can one network over firewire? surely it would be alot faster then ethernet? because when i network my freinds laptop to me desktop its slows do me system like a bitch! the way we do it is by having both of the computer connected to me adsl modem / 4 port router, they never have a problem seeing each other but they slow each other down, whats the best way to network, i,m getting a laptop soon and i want to be able to use it with me desktop in a fast way. can i harness the power of the desktop for compuational tasks from the laptop? thanks andy

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

well, you are confusing internet sharing with node networking. These networked G5s would have enough latency functioning off of gigabit ethernet, or maybe even something faster that runs off of PCI-X, to combine outputted processing power. This combined processing power would be coupled into nodes, and each node would combine to form a virtual computer comprised of thousands of systems. That means that data inputted into this virtual computer would be processed collectively by the nodes then spit out as a final product- computer many thousands of times faster than any normal, single computer.

No one should network over firewire. Ethernet is much faster than firewire anyways.

And no, you dont have the ability to "harness" the processing power of your desktop to do your laptop's chores; unless you are familiar with supercomputer networking, which it does not sound like you are.

3. xpormac macrumors regular

Their are certain programs that support connecting over firewire to do certain stuff. I connect my desktop and laptop together over firewire to help render with bryce 5.

4. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

yes true but thats why i was asking, how helpfull of you to point out the obvious. so if you wouldnt mind helping.... what your saying is that there is a way.. so how do i do it? and ther is a program called firenet i think that claims to be faster the 100base T ethernet and nearly as fast as a faster ethernet giga somthing ethernet? is that 1000 base T ehternet?

5. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

do any other programs do except bryce 5 do this? like does final cut do ths? and how does it do it?

6. xpormac macrumors regular

I bet maya is able to do this. I'm not sure though. I do this on my windows PCs.

7. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

me mac says Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet, AirPort-ready, is this the faster or slower ethernet? if its the slower is it expensive to upgrade?

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

That's gigabit ethernet. It's the fastest that's typically available in a personal computer. It's much faster than firewire (also firewire networking support is only in 10.3). The 1100 G5 cluster is supposedly using myrinet (sp?), which is much more expensive and lower latency. Making a cluster is easy ( http://www.daugerresearch.com/pooch/recipe.html ), but most apps don't support clustering. The ones that do (project builder, bryce 5, final cut pro 4, a few others) typically have all the setup stuff built in. Basically, you're out of luck unless you do video editing, 3d art, or programming (I do 2 of the 3... now I just need some more machines :)).

9. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

wicked i want to use it with final cut! so how do i do it, and can i cluster a laptop to a desktop?

10. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

wicked i want to use it with final cut! so how do i do it, and can i cluster a laptop to a desktop?

11. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

hahah yes very funny, well i own a g4 as well, i have a 1.25 mdd g4 which has Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) built in, i,m going to be getting a new laptop soon, so i will make sure that it also has Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit).

then what kinda ethernet switch do i need? and made by who?

12. AngryAngel macrumors regular

You can just use a crossover cable (gigabit ports should be have auto-detecting, so should automatically 'cross-over' the ethernet terminals, i.e. a standard patch cable will do).

But I would do research into whether clustering with just two machines speeds anything up. It could quite conceivably slow down Final Cut instead of speed it up.