How do I burn just the video from a dvd?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Oct 9, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I am making a backup of my dvd's right now and I only want the dvd to play. I hate all the extra stuff on dvd's because I don't watch them. I was wondering how do I burn just the video? Don't worry it's all legal. These really are my own dvd's that I have paid for and I have Toast Titanium 6.

Can someone help me out? Is there another program I need to convert these into something first? Thanks.

2. UberMac macrumors 6502

Well i use Handbrake from http://handbrake.m0k.org/. It's all nice and free AND can encode to H264. I get really nice looking archives of DVDs down to about 400Mb. I don't really know what else is around but that piece of software is free which is ace for me (skint school kid).

There is one downer and thats the fact it takes hours (no really, it does) to encode a 2 hour film. I dont know if that's becuase of my archaic PowerBook (rev A 12") or becuase of the software... :s

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Is H264 the program that Toast prefers? Theres no way I can burn just the video without compressing it?

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Mactheripper - freeware
    and DVD2oneX - €50
    Both at versiontracker

worth the money and even on my iMac G4 800 17inch it takes about 1.5 hours

5. UberMac macrumors 6502

Ooooh heck...I hadn't thoguth about burning the video - I just keep it on my hard drive. Erm, I guess it would probably be simplest to just copy the whole DVD but that doesnt solve your problem :eek:

Well I'm all outta ideas, sorry!

6. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

mac the ripper (works great, and is free)
    toast 6 or 7 (great if you have it, or you can buy it or download it)

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

i have toast 6 titanium but it wont let me burn...it says there's an error with the source.... any ideas? i basically just want to copy each dvd to a blank one

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I use Mac the Ripper to extract only the main movie. Then Popcorn to compress (if necessary) and burn to disc.

9. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

After you've ripped it with mac the ripper, Popcorn will let you choose from alot of different things to burn. Main Feature Only is an option.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, use MTR then choose Mode and it will allow you to select what you want such as main feature. Next if you have Popcorn or DVD2oneX you will need to compress what is left (it should be between 5-6.5 GB), then it's time for Toast. I've been thinking about going to upgrade to Toast 7 as it has some great Backup features which would pay for itself (splitting data/backup onto more than one dvd/cd).