How do I buy Logic, put on backup drive and install on my two macs.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kristenanne77, Mar 17, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Would like to buy Logic, put on backup drive and install on my two macs.

Instead of installing Logic from apple store (or itunes store?) directly to my computer, I would like to purchase Logic and "store' the application on a hard drive. Then I would like to install it from the hard drive onto my mac desktop and my macbook (at times this makes my workflow a lot easier). I know that purchase the program I can install on my own computers so thats not an issue.
    And Of course having the backup available would also be a lifesaver if something happened and I had to reinstall quickly.

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks
    K

2. simsaladimbamba

You buy it via the Mac App Store (MAS), download it, copy it from one Mac to the other and then also put a copy of it on your backup HDD.

Thus if both Macs storage devices (HDD or SSD) fail at the same time, you can recover from the backup of it on your backup HDD once you repaired/replaced both failed storage devices on both your Macs.

The same goes for the additional Application Support data like loops and such stored in Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / Logic Pro or a similar folder.

3. thread starter macrumors member

So are you saying that apple will not install the program automatically and I will actually download the application to and then install it myself?

4. macrumors G4

WOuldn't you always have a backup of all your stuff? Use Time Machine and in addition several hard drives that you rotate to a remote location. I think Apple makes this hard to do on purpose so people will not redistribute the software.

Also, I think software Update only works if you go through the process with the App Store

5. simsaladimbamba

Just because you purchased one application and downloaded it to one Mac, does not mean, that that application will be downloaded to another Mac you use with the MAS. But you could simply use the MAS to download it on the other Mac, if you have such a slow internal network or no transfer storage devices.

6. macrumors 68000

See the help menu for the App Store