How do I buy stocks?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TiMacLover, Apr 30, 2002.

1. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Is it free? How? I want to buy some Apple. Thanks

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Free!! I dont think so! If it were, everyone would buy them + sell them off for a 100% profit!!!

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

The easiest way would probably be to go talk to a financial advisor at your bank.

Not sure if it's the same in the states, but in the UK you have to be at least 18 to invest in the stock market.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The best advice I can give you is to do some research before you go out and buy stocks. Don't ever do an emotional purchase, you'll most likely not do very well.

this is one of the better online resources that has experts who lay it all out for you and explain everything you need to know, even if you don't know a thing about it.

http://www.motelyfool.com

5. iflyguns macrumors newbie

If you just want an Apple stock certificate to hang on the wall, go to oneshare.com.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I would not buy Apple stock unless you have been watching it for a while. Apple stock fluctuates a lot and it is hard to know when to buy.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

best method...

contact your stock broker...

if u don't have one....get one...

I don't believe in managing my portfolio online myself... :rolleyes:

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Apple

I am an Apple share holder and ... I dont think right now would be a good time to buy.... you would want to buy in at a lower price. Its traiding at $23.70 right now and I havent seen it hit much higher than $25 in the last year.

Like iflyguns said... if your just interested in Owning it to say you own it, go to oneshare.com

I mangage my own finances but my profoilo is mostly IRA money for retirment and some 401k. Im not living off it right now.... and wont be for a very long time.

-evildead

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Apple for the short term

It was posted here in a thread a couple of weeks ago about how the price of Apple goes up before an Expo or Conference and then drops down right after. I don't know if this is the case, but I'm going to be watching it closely at WWDC and MWNY. If this happens, I'll buy a little (not more than a $1k) right after MWNY and see what happens over the next 5 months to MWSF. If it goes up then I'll sell high and rebuy - get more stocks too, I hope - right after when it drops.

I already have some from a while ago when they were at $22 last year. I'm happy to hold onto it for a while at least.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

actually...Apple's shares are up today...

seems the announcement yesterday may have made a tiny impact?

but evil's right...it's definitely not a good time to jump into Apple (in my opinion)...it's been in the price range for over a year now...actually...lower than I paid early last year... :eek:

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    WHY

if you want to own shares just to own them-then i agree, go to oneshare.com

if you want to buy as an investment-i don't think now is the right time. IMO, its gonna have to drop below $20/share before its attractive again ( or their earnings are gonna have to go ballistic!).

if you want to show your support for apple-then buy their products. they don't get the $$ from the stock sales anyway because they don't own them anymore-they're out on the open market.:)

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: WHY

I don't know that I agree with you there, but you certainly entitled to your opinion. PE ratios aren't necessarily the best indicator anymore given the market's continual tendancy to overvalue (based on PE that is). Most analysts and advisors are listing Apple as a buy or better and have target prices above where they are selling now (though you might be smart not to heed the collective opinion of these types). I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't as cut and dry as trading off of PE ratios. Or trends. Or balance sheets. Or analyst advice. Or any single piece of information.

Anyway, addressing the original poster, I really don't think you should jump head first into buying stock. Given the fact that you don't know *how* to buy stock, I am inferring that you don't know much about how the market works and stock trading in general. Unless you just want a single share (as others have suggested), any stock you purchase should be considered an investment. Like any other investments, there is risk associated with buying stock. You could lose all the money you invest. Or you could double your money, who knows.

My point is that buying stock should be treated carefully. Know the potential risks. Know the potential upside. Make intelligent investment decisions. Don't take the process lightly.

I agree that motleyfool.com is a good place to start. They have a lot of great beginner information and haelpful articles and analysis.

Good luck!

Taft