How do I capture streaming QT?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lamemodem, Oct 13, 2005.

1. lamemodem macrumors member

lamemodem

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I never had a need until now. And I can't seem to find a decent guide online.

How do I capture a streaming QT file off a web page? What app is the best to use (most interested in freeware/shareware)? Any tips to do a great job?

Thanks.

2. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

This Apple Special Event is downloaded off the website by copying & dragging the url (from Safari > View > View Source) to Safari's Downloads.

3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

I hate to make another thread about a topic discussed a billion times.

so, I dragged the url from the navagation bar, (which shows http://...)
    and dragged that link to the download window. the result is a non-self contained file which requires the computer to go online, and it is still a stream file. so, I can't navagate as if the entire file is on my computer, and basically nearly 99 percent of the quicktime movie is still viewed from apple's site.

i don't understand an exact procedure, and i am looking for a program that can do this. I looked for days now, and no solution. so, there is two quicktime streams. right? pure stream, (like apple WWDC) and downloaded stream (like the trailers on apple.com where the bar goes from left to right and you can save the entire movie on your computer if you have quicktime pro. I wish every quicktime movie is downloaded stream, because then I can view it all offline.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

That doesn't work. You have always been able to save the stream. The difficulty is saving it to your hard drive, and not relying on the Internet.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I haven't used this utility yet but I have it just in case. It's called iGetMovies and it's supposed to allow you to save Quicktime files to your hard drive.

Here

Just checked the reviews. It seems it doesn't work with Tiger. Too bad.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Again, that won't work with streaming media, like Apple Special Events, only with fully downloaded movies in Safari or iTunes.

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I've been playing with RTSP for a while. The only way to get it i've seen is to either somehow hack and find the URL of the reference file (wish i knew how) or to use VLC to download the stream. This takes a while, but works. Instructions on their site.

8. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i tried the documentation. what exactally do I do? i opened the terminal, and I don't know exactally what I should type in. we really should have a stickey for this you know

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Ok, if you know the question has been asked a million times, why didn't you just search the forums for the answers?

10. steelfist macrumors 6502a

sorry to be rude, but, for me, the reason why i'm asking again (regretfully) is because the answer hasen't been explained clearly. i have searched, and a lot are just empty, have a tiny bit of help, or no help at all. i have never done any terminal commands before, so i don't know how to use VLC.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

After trying tools that capture movies on the screen I decided to just make it full screen and using a DV to analog converter and use a 2nd Mac to capture it from iMovie. There has to be an easier way.

After about 6 months, I can't even find the streaming version of the movie so that is my main reason for making a copy. Too bad you can't pay $2 bucks each to download every keynote from iTunes.

12. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

what do you want to bet that the mac fanatics alone could make those keynotes sell more than the episodes of the big TV shows they're pushing ;)

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

when i watched the keynote i first let it run without watching it and then I replayed it to watch it later that day. and the reload took about 2 seconds. so the file must be cached somewhere but i couldn't find it. does anybody know where these cached files for quicktime are?

14. aviationwiz macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking when I was watching the event and saw him introducing the video downloads!