How Do I Change Default Mail program ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Montano, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Montano macrumors regular

In Jaguar I would just click on the Internet/Network Icon to change default browser/mail, etc....

But the option is no longer there after upgrade to Panther. (Still have Network Icon, just no option to change default settings)

Thanks

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you want to change it to Entourage it should ask you the first time you start it up.

Otherwise thats a very good question! Apple probably didn't want you to use anything else then OS X Mail!

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Ok I found out how...open up OS X mail and then go to preferences...then under the general section you can select your default mail program. Thats kind of funny where Apple put that!

4. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but lets go a step further. I use Mozilla and prefer it's Mail client. However, the only Mail app listed is the OS X Mail app. I use iPhoto quite a bit, and email photos directly from iPhoto. Again, OS X mail is the only app for me to choose. Is there a way to set Mozilla's Mail app to be the default ??

Thanks

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Hmmm... I don't know what to tell ya there! If you go into iPhoto then to Preferences you can select Entourage instead of Mail, or Eudora, but I don't see anything to select Mozilla. I tried this with the newest version of Netscape and it didn't work so I'm assuming that Mozilla won't work either.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The specific application (in this case Mozilla Mail) probably has to tell the system that it exists, I guess Mozilla isn't doing this. As for how to fix it, I don't know :(

7. tj2001 macrumors regular

Select...

When you are in Mail in OS X Panther under preferences where it has the pull-down menu. There is an option for "Select..." which then opens a window for you to specifically choose the application.

Hope this helps.

8. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

That option allows me to select Mozilla (browser), but not Mozilla Mail :(

9. zellin macrumors regular

Mozilla

The Mozilla browser is the same application as Mozilla Mail. If you mean Thunderbird, that is different.
    I remember that in Jaguar you had to put in some UNIX command in order to force Mozilla to tell OS X that it is an email client and not a Browser... it's somewhere on macosxhints.com.
    But seriously, I won't try to convince you to use Mail.app (even though I see no reason not to), but there is a project that Mozilla makes called Thunderbird which is basically exactly like Mozilla Mail but a bit better. Go to mozilla.org and see for yourself.

10. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Re: Select...

I too would like to use Mozilla mail to send photos located in iPhoto. I've been to the preferences in Mail and Mozilla mail is actually a choice that is available. So, I set that up. Going to preferences in iPhoto you can only select from Eudora, Entourage, Mail or AOL. Why doesn't Mozilla mail show up???? Wish I could get this set up as I like Mozilla mail alot. Entourage is ok but am not thrilled at all with Mail. I actually started a new thread on this. Yes, I used search but couldn't find anything. Someone's got to have an answer. Help.

11. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

I finally gave in and downloaded Firebird & Thunderbird. And I actually like them better than Mozilla :D And you can set Thunderbird as the default mail app !

12. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

So you can set Thunderbird as default mail under iPhoto and Mail? Send your pics directly from iPhoto to Thunderbird? Are Firebird and Thunderbird similar to Mozilla. I am especially fond of the "themes" available for Mozilla.

13. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

They are both very similar to Mozilla, and also have Themes. You can see screenshots at mozilla.org :D

Thunderbird is set to default mail in the Mail Preferences pane. However it is not listed in the iPhoto mail options ?? Must be a bug ....... I was able to choose Entourage in Jaguar.

14. zellin macrumors regular

Not a bug. For an email app to be compatible w/ iPhoto Apple has to specifically add it. Since Thunderbird is fairly new and Mozilla is mostly for browsing it is not part of iPhoto yet.

15. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

Well there is no option for Entourage either. And it's been around for awhile ??

16. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Entourage is indeed an option. I use it to email photos from iPhoto but I still prefer Mozilla. Kind of a pain to go back and forth but guess I'll live with it for now.