How do i change Permissions on a Firewire Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lapdance Jockey, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Lapdance Jockey macrumors newbie

hi guys

i have an external western digital firewire/usb 2.0 drive that i use for backing up my stuff.

i can read and write from it when its plugged into my PC but i can only READ when its plugged into my mac

any ideas on how to change this so i can read and write when plugged into my powerbook?

thanks

Jockey

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The hard drive is probably formatted NTFS. Writing to NTFS volumes is not supported in OS X (unless it's via samba over the network). In order to make it work with both your Mac and your PC, you will have to reformat it FAT32. Naturally back up the data first, since reformatting it will erase everything on it.

3. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

I have this same problem

I have a Western Digital 1TB drive formatted for Mac. I took it to my PC and reformatted it NTSF (for a friend with a PC), and now I brought it back to my Mac so I can transfer some files to it, and it is totally locked. I understand NTSF is for PC's, but then why am I able to read and copy files FROM it to my Mac, but now copy files TO it? It doesn't make sense. I tries changing all the permissions, but it is no good.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You mean NTFS.

Because Macs cannot write to NTFS, they can read it, but not write to it.
    You could try using MacFUSE, but it's not 100% reliable.

In the end, you should reformat the disk to HFS+.