How do I change the Apple ID used for the App Store and iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by annamontana412, Jul 12, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

My friend recently bought a new iPhone 3G and she used my computer to set up her phone. Now, when she tries to buy songs or Apps from her iPhone, my Apple ID account is the one that shows up and asks for my password. How does she change this so it's her own account being used on her phone?

2. macrumors regular

Gamst

Has she tried signing in on itunes and then syncing?

3. macrumors newbie

Go into "App Store" on the iPhone, tap Categories. Scroll down until you reach the bottom of Categories. You will find the 'Accoount' button. Tap and logout. Login if the new ID.

4. macrumors 68000

iPhone -> Settings -> App Store -> Sign Out -> Sign In

5. macrumors newbie

Really Weird

Ok, my wife accidentally typed in the wrong login information for the app store. we have logged out/in under the real name, reset phone, and synced with itunes. When she downloads new apps it works under the new login info, but the update app part of the icon still uses the old misspelled login info... so, it won't let her update downloaded apps, but allows her to download new ones. weird.. Thanks in advance.

6. macrumors newbie

if those ideas don't work. it is because she synced her phone to your computer while logged into your itunes account. if she has her own account just sign out of your account on the computer and sign in to her account on the computer then resync the iphone.

7. macrumors newbie

App Store Id change

I got a new IPhone 4g, I registered the appstore with my frnds Id,
    I changed it now to my ID in Appstore catogories and in settings, but when I try to update the softwares in app store it still asks for old id(my frnds id)....

Plz could any one help on thisss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. macrumors newbie

IDs are attached to individual apps not App Store

After researching this issue for awhile I found the solution in another forum. My issue was a little different than most users in that anytime I try to Update All I get two prompts in a row, both of them expired email addresses.

The way to solve this is by updating each app one-at-a-time. For any apps that were purchased with an account that you're no longer using, you will get a prompt (something along the line of) "This upgrade price is only for previously purchased apps, do you want to buy?".

I said yes to that question as my apps were all free. I got the end of the list and now everything seems fine. If you are updating purchased apps you'll have to figure out the consequences to this approach, or another approach, but at least now you'll know why the old accounts keep popping up when you run an Update All.

9. macrumors newbie

wrong apple id

Thanks. Apparently I have 2 apple id's. I'm not sure how that happened. I had one with my regular e-mail address and one with my me.com address. Weird. Anyway, just entered the old password for my other address and it worked. I guess I'll have this issue every time I update apps purchased or downloaded under my old apple id?

10. macrumors newbie

Please help me, i have read through this forum and tried all of the above. However it still isnt working! Basically i have bought the iphone 4 off my friend and when i try and update all my app in the app store, it comes up with his apple id looking for his password. I want my apple id to come up instead.
    I have synced my iphone on itunes and inserted my apple id. I have also done this on settings too AND at the signed in and out with the bottom of the page on the app store! Is there anyway i can do this? Please help me, really want to get my phone up and running well before i go on holiday in a couple weeks! Thanks x

11. macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Did you do a fresh restore, then synched via iTunes?
    Could be in your phone, the apps of your friend still live there with his payload (user info).

12. macrumors newbie

Ahhh right i'll try that, thank you very much!

13. macrumors newbie

Let's make it a little more difficult, not only did we change our email provider, for my old apple id we used the old email address and this is where apple sends messages (none of which arrive of course). Subsequently one of my kids changed the password and doesn't know it anymore. Thus, all old apps cannot be updated. Anyone?

14. Eby
    macrumors newbie

The apple ID on my iPhone was not even created by me so there is no way I can have the password. I bought this iPhone new with all the applications installed by a chistanley85@yahoo.com. Is this like a default apple ID that comes with a new iPhone?

15. macrumors regular

No, maybe those are cracked app.

16. macrumors newbie

Got a new phone 3gs, did the whole apple ID thing all going good, there's no apps under the old ID, the last app that was downloaded (heytell) has an update, went to do it and its asked for the old ID, logged out and back in checked everything, its all running with the new ID. Help!?!?

17. macrumors newbie

Apple ID & updating Apps

Hi, new here, and thanks in advance for all your help. I have a concern similar to "Motoservo." My iTunes ID is my full email address, but my phone (4S w/IOS6) originally had just my user name for the ID (it now shows the full address & accepts the current password). When I try to update apps that were acquired under the original ID, the prompt for my password will not accept any ID, either current or past. I have tried all of the fixes Motoservo and others, suggested (I didn't get the messages he/she did) and have gone so far as to restore factory defaults with no change, when I try to update, the screen still shows the old ID and won't accept any password. I do understand that the ID is tied to the app (it would be nice it the password was too).
    Now, my iTunes shows that there are apparently updates to the apps in question on my computer, but so far no syncing, or any action I can find will let me transfer those updates to my phone.
    Any thoughts/suggestions? Short of deleting the app and reinstalling it that is, (which I guess is the next option)?

Thanks again.

18. macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I don't quite understand the issue but I don't get why you talk about the "phone". I would just backup that phone and restore, and not try to update via itself, just iTunes.
    Now, when you try to update via iTunes, for the apps that still have the "old ID" you can't get past the password screen, is that what it is?
    If so, you could try checking the "Purchases" tab on iTunes and then searching for those particular "old" apps and try re-downloading them to see if they would be now tied to your "new ID" (in theory, when you switch emails on a given Apple ID, the account stays the same). If you cannot re-download (e.g app on iTunes is the latest version), I'd try deleting the IPA (in iTunes Mobile Applications folder), re-opening iTunes and then you could re-download.

19. Jpeck206, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

macrumors newbie

Only solution that worked for me is to delete the app and then repurchase it. As long as your Apple ID is set on your IPhone the app will now be repurchased under it. If the app is free no problem. If it has a fee you will be charged again which sucks. Apparently when you buy apps it retains the ID at that time and there is no way to "un-link" it from the app so when you change IDs it won't allow you to update the app under the new ID. I suspect that Apple is aware of this problem as many people now have it. They should eventually work up a way to identify multiple iDs for an account or to require that you delete the old ID or some fix to this problem.

20. macrumors 6502

I was going to start a new thread; but found this one and it appears to be in regards to my problem also.
    My wife was the first in the household to purchase a Mac. She set up her iCloud account in her name. My iPhone 4 was set up with my wife’s iCloud account. I have now purchased a mac and I have set up a iCloud account in my name. My problem is; I want my calendar on my Mac to sync with the calendar on my iPhone 4. I’ve gone into settings on the iPhone and tried to sign into iCloud with my information; however; it won’t let me change any of the iCloud account information; which is that of my wife’s! I’ve gone into the “app store” and signed out of my wife’s account and signed into my account; but when i go back to settings/Icloud; it still shows as using my wife’s account.
    What am I doing wrong?

21. macrumors 603

Tyler23

Under the iCloud panel in Settings, you must scroll to the bottom and select Delete Account. Your wife's iCloud account will be deleted off of your phone, and you can proceed to sign into your account.

22. macrumors 6502

Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried what you suggested and it worked. Took a few minutes for the calendar to sync; but it did.

Thank you.

23. macrumors newbie

H

----------

How about for an ipodtouch 4th gen.. How can i change the username for appstore? Thanks..