How do I change the Finder's sidebar icons?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by WebDevDude, Jan 16, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm trying to change the Finder's sidebar icons to match my custom icon I've setup for a folder. See the screenshot to see how the icon is a Folder icon, not the custom icon I set on the folder.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Drag or Command-drag any icon off the sidebar. Then drag any file or folder onto the sidebar to add it. It should reflect the icon of the item you added. This works for most cases. However, the item you've selected is a Dropbox folder. Dropbox icons work differently, because they're changed, depending on the status of the folder. I don't think you can get Dropbox folders to work like you want.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

This doesn't work in Lion for any type of folder. I created a custom icon for a folder, then dragged it to the sidebar, but it still came up on the sidebar as a regular folder.

4. macrumors 6502a

You cannot change the folder icons in the Finder sidebar anymore.

This is because of how the Finder handles the new monochromatic icons. It sources them from a tiny internal library of various icons and nowhere else (this is to ensure uniformity across anything placed in the sidebar- having a color icon there could cause the universe to end prematurely).

My advice- let Apple know about it. You're not the first person to complain about this (as this is directly related to the lack of color icons in the Finder), and you won't be the last.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

-SC

5. macrumors 6502

and they are right to remove it,

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s

6. macrumors member

7. jameslmoser, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

macrumors 6502

And the monochrome colors don't take you back to the 80s?

Also, if you want monochrome in Snow Leopard, thats an option... If you want color in Lion, well... thats not.

8. macrumors 6502

in the 80s my computer didnt have a graphical interface.

9. macrumors 6502

Doesn't have to have had a GUI to have been monochrome... All those Apple II's with green monochrome screens... =)

10. macrumors newbie

grey is drab, too minimal even for apple. colour option would be great...will email apple and I'm sure they'll add it :p

11. macrumors member

Hey! So, any way to use custom icons on the sidebar instead of the generic one?

Thanks

12. macrumors regular

Only a Apple apologist will have this stupid, idiotic, view.

Have it be default, and be minimalistic? Sure I get that, but to remove the way we can customize it and tout "THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!, STOP MESSING WITH PERFECTION!" is pathetic at best.

13. macrumors newbie

Completely agree with Ariez.
    I hate Apple wannabe's. Remember they used Microsoft software in the first Apple 2 computer (1977).

OSX is a perfect OS, although its very nice looking!

14. Guest

I hardly think that Apple's use of a BASIC interpreter from Microsoft on a text-based OS is germane to a discussion of the GUI look and feel of OS X.

15. macrumors newbie

Agreed that this is a frustrating problem. Really cramps my organizational style. I just sent a feedback message to Apple- might be beneficial to do likewise. As stated above by the Scottish Captain, here's the URL:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html