Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galatea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Western MA
I'm a long-time windows user and I just purchased my first mac, a used 500 mHz iBook from one of my coworkers. Woohoo! I managed to successfully create a new user account for myself (although I haven't deleted his account yet just in case), but there is one thing I can't figure out how to change. When I boot the computer and get to the OS X boot screen, it still says "[Previous Owner]'s Computer" underneath the Apple logo. How can I change this so it shows [Current Owner]'s Computer" instead?

I'm hoping that he can get me a copy of his install disks so I can just do a clean install, but that could take a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Easily done!

Go to System Preferences...->Sharing, then just change the "Computer Name:" field at the top of that panel. Or at least that's how it's worked for a while. Which version of the OS are you running?

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Im going to take a shot in the dark... in the system preferences, click on sharing, there should be a textbox that actually says "[Previous Owner]'s Computer", simply change that. I know its a bit vague but im not in front of a mac right now :mad: :mad:

Edit: Beaten to it!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.