How do I change the name of the Pictures folder on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Esoremada, Dec 5, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I want to change the name of the Pictures folder on my Mac.
    "Macintosh HD/Users/Adam/Pictures"
    But I can't. Hitting enter and clicking it once does nothing. When I right click and hit "Get Info" it gives me all the normal info but the "Name & Extension" is grayed out an locked.

2. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What kind of permissions do you have?

You may need to go to the last portion of the "Get Info" box which is "Sharing and Permissions" and give yourself the ability to Read and Write.

3. macrumors 68000

I'm sure there is a way to change it, but so many things out there will expect it to be "Pictures" that chances are high, that at some point, maybe at the time of a software update, something will break, and at that point you are heading for a world of hurt.

4. macrumors 6502a

Ashka

The standard set of folders is the same for every user, expect them to be remade if changed or deleted.

Just make other folders named the way you want inside the 'Pictures' folder. The same as you do with the 'Documents' folder.
    Drag the folders you use all the time to the finder sidebar for easy access.:)
    S.

5. macrumors 65816

Velin

This. You want the home folders to be left in their standard configuration. Programs look to these folders to function.

You want another name for a pictures folder? Just make a new folder anywhere in your home directory -- a subfolder in pictures, documents, etc. Or make it on your portable media.

Want fast access to it? Just drag it to "Places" on the left side of the finder window. You're one click away from your customized pictures folder.

This is what you want to do.