How do I check ADSL speed in terminal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cooknwitha, May 19, 2005.

1. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I have a 512kps ADSL connection and this morning it is running beyond slow. Slower than dial-up!

Is there a command for terminal where I can check the speed? f so, what is it and what should I be looking for :) I'm not really a computer-head. That's why I own a Mac.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You may do better to find an online speed tester. You can try this one, it might not be as accurate as a local one but the pipe between NZ and Aust is quite fast :)

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I would contact your ISP and ask if they have a test file you can download via ftp in terminal. It will report on the speed of the transfer when it's done. That should give you a good idea as to whether or not they are indeed delivering 512K down.

4. cooknwitha thread starter macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Okay, that was just weird. That gave a good reading and now my downloads are back to normal. I'm back to about 50kbps whereas all morning I've been unable to get above 4kpbs.

Ah well, provided it works.... thanks Nermal. :)

5. cooknwitha thread starter macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I was trying to avoid having to call my ISP. They are cheap and on the whole reliable but their customer service is terrible. Often asking questions of them just makes the situation worse.