How do I connect 2 power books via firewire?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glosterseagul, Jul 5, 2005.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

I want to copy some stuff acroos to my other powerbook. I have lead from when ~I used the "transfer" to new computer settings.

how do I connect using the lead to back up stuff....

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Turn off one of the computers, connect the firewire, then restart holding the "T" key. This computer will now act like an external hard drive for the other computer.

3. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

You can even Network via Firewire

If you do a search you'll find a thread I wrote a while ago, where you could actually network two Macs via Firewire without using the "Target disk Mode" when I find it I'll throw in the link.

Here's the Link

Although some say it might seem like a lot of trouble it really isn't and you really can use it!

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depending on how much you're transferring, and if both Macs have an Airport card, you could just log in to one and transfer stuff to the other. That's what I do when i need to get stuff to Mum's iBook quickly.

To do that you just have to turn Personal File Sharing on on the Mac you're transferring from. Then go to Go in the Finder, choose 'Connect to server' and type in the name.local of the first Mac (you can see this name in the sharing pref panel when you turn on Personal File Sharing).

5. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Well that worked, thanks!

Errr ... but not a lot of security! No Passwords required. That reminded me of when all you needed to do to get pass the password stage was to turn extensions off.

Thanks again! (I paid £25 for the lead tho!) :eek:

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Along the same method, you can use DropCopy, which utilises Bonjour technology to transfer stuff between Macs on the same network. I installed it for my Dad as the logging in thing can be a tad intimidating for some less tech savy folk.