how do i convert an AVI to play on my DVD player?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by proverbs, Aug 12, 2006.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

i have a bunch of avi files that i want to slap on a dvd so i can watch em on my TV. i bought a dvd player thats supposed to play EVERYTHING - so just to test it out, i burned an avi file onto a dvd using Toast. i didnt know how to burn it so i just went to the Data/Mac&PC option. obviously, it didnt work. i know the other option is to make it an actual dvd so you can play it on any dvd player, but converting a 720mb avi takes over 8 hours on my PB.

can anyone help me out before i waste 10 blank dvds? TIA.

2. arcsbite Guest

try Visualhub.
    you drag n drop your Avi in..name the DVD click convert and leave, depending on your computer after a while (about an hour on my 1.83 intel iMac) you'll have a guaranteed to work on any DVD player DVD Disk

3. arcsbite Guest

4. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, ill give it a try. but from what i remember, when you convert it so you can play it on any dvd player, it took 8+ hours on my PB.

5. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

actually i just finish burning the dvd and it took less then 15 minutes!! i popped it in my dvd player and it works perfect. thanks guys!

6. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

actually i take that back.

i kept watching the dvd and it only got to a minute and a half and then stops :mad: . i was celebratin for nothing

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Look, are you saying you have a DVD player that will also play DivX/Xvid-based AVI files? If so, then your first method should've worked. If it didn't, there's something wrong with the AVI files you have (perhaps encoded using features not supported in your set-top player).

If your DVD player does NOT play DivX/XviD-encoded files, then you just have to convert to MPEG-2, which means you won't be able to fit as much on one disc, and you will have to wait for conversion to take place.

8. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

is it because i burned it on a DVD disc? the file is about 720mb and i only have 700mb CD discs, so that is why i burned it on dvd.

9. TylerL macrumors regular

VisualHub in trial mode is limited to 1-2 minutes per conversion.

10. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

So no free conversion software out there?
    What about a free xvid/divx -> quicktime convertor? Using a quicktime movie in iDVD will make the DVD work fine on a DVD player.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Just get the xvid/divx codec for Quicktime. No conversion necessary. Then you can drag the .AVI into iDVD and then it'll convert to mpeg2 just fine - I've done it numerous times.

12. golfgirl macrumors newbie

Ehm, forgive the ignorance - how do I get the xvid/divx codec for quicktime from the avi file?cheers

13. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Thanks, exporting as I speak.

System Preferences -> Quicktime -> Update -> Install (Find and install new 3rd-party QuickTime software)
    Find Divx plugin and install.