How do I convert PC Outlook to Mac Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by gizmo, May 4, 2003.

1. gizmo macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a way to convert email messages stored in Outlook 2000 for Windows into a format which can be read/imported into either Mac Mail or MS Entourage?

I found a clever way to get all my contacts out of Outlook but have been stuck when it comes to saving access to my email archives.

Thanks for helping

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Mail.app can import the follwing file types (see pic). Your best bet looks to be .mbox files. You'll have to see if Outlook 2000 can export to this format.

Attached Files:

3. gizmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Outlook no can do

Unfortunately, the catch here is on the Windows side. Outlook will only export to a limited number of formats, none of which sync up directly with Mac Mail's. Outlook can only export to CSV, dBase, MS Access, Excell, FoxPro or .pst. I think .pst is the only format (not really an export) that preserves attachments.

In fact, Microsoft had the genius to make it seemingly impossible to convert from Outlook 2000 in Windows to Entourage in Mac. If someone has solved this problem, they've probably figured out a way to convert .pst files into .mbox files.

I guess the other solution is just to get PC emulation to keep Outlook around for viewing archived emails.

Let me know if you have any further ideas.

4. gizmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Outlook vs. Outlook Express

One further thought - you might imagine you could use Outlook Express but either I'm very confused by MS's products or they seem to be pretty much incompatible with no way to export mail from Outlook to Outlook Express. Go figure.

I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong there because that might just be the key...