How do I convince my parents...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asherman13, Mar 3, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

...that I need a MacBook Pro, and sooner rather than later?

Let me tell you about my situation. I'm a high school senior, and next year I'll be heading off to college, most likely abroad for a year and then the rest back here in the U.S. My first Mac was an iBook G3 (see sig. thread for details); it's LCD cracked a few years back due to "extreme weather conditions", and in late January it's HDD started dying. I'm currently using my Dad's old Dell Inspiron 3200, but I hate it. With 233Mhz and 120MB of RAM, it's worse than my iBook is/was (worst part being Windows '98, and that I'm starting to get used to it :eek: ). Before my iBook died, I was perfectly willing to wait until June or whatever, but now? I need OS X!

I was at MWSF when the MacBook Pro was released, and it's essentially my dream computer (reasons will be listed below). I've lusted over it since Jan. 7, and have thought about it at least once a day since then. My parents aren't exactly excited about me getting the MacBook Pro, let alone a new computer (reasons will be listed below), so there's been some animosity between us due to this. I told my parents that I would propose the reasons why I should get a MacBook Pro, and the conditions under which I should be allowed to have it. I'm going to list my reasons/conditions, and the reasons why my parents think I shouldn't get it, and then hopefully you guys will be able to add to my reasons/conditions, so that my parents' reasons will effectively be pointless.

Let my preface this by saying that I would be paying for this computer. I bought some AAPL last year before the split, and along with some money from work and selling my 5G iPod, I can afford the MacBook Pro.

My parents' reasons for me to not get a MacBook Pro right now:
    • ADD runs in my family (it's genetic, believe it or not), and I have mild ADD. My parents think that if I get a new computer, it will distract me, to a large degree, from my studies.
    • We have an iMac G4 downstairs that my mom and brothers use. They don't understand why I can't use that computer for 'net access when I need, and the Dell for everything else.
    • They think that my first semester grades weren't as good as they could've been, and that I shouldn't be rewarded for them.
    • My dad is against me having being able to watch videos in my room where I may get distracted from my schoolwork.
    • They don't understand why I can't wait for either the summertime or for something that Apple will "release in a few months anyways" (my mom).
    My reasons/conditions for getting a MacBook Pro ASAP:
    • The Dell is a PoS, and shouldn't be forced upon anybody. I can't get it to print with my printer, nor can it run anything but MS Word, so I am relegated to doing my homework on it and having to copy it to another computer via USB drive just to I can print. When the Dell isn't slowly booting up or letting me type, it crashes. I can't keep doing this!
    • Since my parents password-protected each account on the iMac, I can only use it when nobody else is, and when one of my parents is around. This Mac, however, for some reason won't install iWork (I have to use it), so I have to stick with MS Word, which I hate.
    • I sold my 5G iPod (bye bye video distraction #1) and am willing to give all of my DVDs to my parents for them to lock/hide somewhere for the rest of the schoolyear.
    • Until March 31st (my 18th birthday), I will only need the MacBook Pro for homework, and a youth group event on the night of March 18th. I am willing to allow my parents to keep the MacBook in their possesion, that night and homework use excepting, at least until that date (3/31), when I will either get the MacBook Pro or we will negotiate a new "release" date, depending on the status of my grades at that time. When doing homework with the MacBook Pro during this time period, I will only do it downstairs, in full view of my parents, so that they can monitor whether or not I'm doing my homework, and, if I'm not, take the computer away.
    • Although I could simply wait until I turn 18 and then flat-out buy the MacBook Pro, I am coming to my parents first, and want to work out an agreement so that I can at least have/use it on the night of 3/18.
    • My parents may say that my grades were not satisfactory enough for the first semester, but colleges seem to disagree. I've been accepted to the first of hopefully more colleges, Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo (Computer Engineering major). If my grades were good enough for Cal Poly, they should be good enough for my parents.
    • The MacBook Pro has an integrated iSight camera. Since our family owns an iSight with our iMac G4 for talking to our relatives in France and elsewhere in the US, a computer with a built-in iSight is the perfect way for me to keep in touch with my family while I'm abroad and at college.
    • Since I've been accepted to Cal Poly, I can use the Apple Store Educational Discount and save $200 when I buy my MacBook Pro.
    • I've checked with all the colleges I've applied to, and the majors I chose, and I am free to use a Mac at all of them.
    • The MacBook Pro uses less power than a lightbulb, and has amazing perks (MagSafe, Sudden Motion Sensor, Illuminated Keyboard, iLife '06 [which I will let my parents install on the family iMac], brighter LCD, thinnest Mac notebook) which will greatly benefit me, both as a student and as a computer user in general.
    • I will be able to run Windows on the MacBook Pro (via Q or Knoppix or hopefully dual-booting), just in case I will need to for some computer class or whatever.
    • I don't play computer games. Period.
    Well, those are all of their reasons and my reasons/conditions, or at least as much of them as I can think of. If anybody can help, that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much; I really want a MacBook Pro!

EDIT My parents don't know about much of these reasons yet; also, please read all the posts, because what other people/I've said might change your input (hopefully in a positive way).

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

If its all your money then why do you need to convince them at all

Just splurge for it, believe me its worth it, mine just came in to my apt this morning and I am in love and I am a freshman in college.

And yes, I paid for it myself. :)

EDIT: I didnt really mention in detail that I got my MBP this morning: 1.83 with 80gb and 1gb of ram. and its a speed demon

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would wait till July/Aug and see if their are any speed dumps..u don't NEED it, you want it... hopefully the dell *hopefully* will last u the rest of the school year. then u have all summer to cherish your baby.

4. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I would get a job.

I saved up my hard earned cash to buy this iBook.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If you actually read his post, he said he can afford to pay for it himself, but he's actually being very responsible about it by asking his parent's permission first ... so try to be helpful in future ...

Anyway, as a parent myself, I see their reasons for not letting you get the MacBook Pro as being very sensible. However, you've also shown yourself to be reasonable enough to try to allay their worries and compromise over this. I don't see much else you can do. Perhaps print out the conditions (if you can) and say you'll sign it as a contract? All you can do is show that you can be trusted.

Although my girls are nowhere near your age, I hope that they would go as far as you have to compromise in the same situation.

Another thing, do you really need (as opposed to need, if you know what I mean) a MacBook Pro? I know exactly how you feel. I need one too, but I don't really need one, so compromised by getting an iMac.

6. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Well, we haven't exactly discussed that, but they would be mad beyond belief. I splurged on the iPod and sold my mini, and my dad wasn't happy about that, mostly due to the video capability which he said would distract me (so I sold it for arguements points, and besides, I don't need an iPod if I have a MacBook Pro. When I sold it (to my brother; his 4G was stolen), I promised that I'd use the money towards a new computer. Since I'm under 18 until the end of the month, my dad, being a lawyer, has reminded me that the account where the AAPL money would go is a custodial account, so technically I don't have access to it (even though I do; I'm always the one dealing with the bank when it comes to stuff with "my" money).

The shipping speed bump was enough for me; I'm a very impatient guy.

To plinden: If you could tell them all that, that would be great. Anyways, I'm not sure if you're asking as to whether or not I need a new computer or whether or not the MacBook Pro is the one that I need. To answer those questions, yes, and yes. I have three AP classes, so I'm up really late most nights doing homework, and it's usually due the next day. Since I can't print with the Dell, I can't really print my homework out, and my parents don't want me being up all night on the iMac, fearing that the 'net will distract me from my work, which I can understand, however, I need to print out my homework, and the current arrangement isn't working. The MacBook Pro suits my needs because a) it's a portable, and as a college student I'll be going places with it often, b) it's powerful, and as a future computer engineering major looking to be a patent attorney, I think I'll want the power, c) it's got the iSight, saving me $150 I would spend so I can keep in touch with my family, d) it's the fastest Apple laptop out there right now, and it's of perfect physical size. I want the "latest and greatest" because, although I admit I'm impatient for wanting new things, I want this to last me for a long time, hopefully longer than my iBook did, and there aren't any concrete Rev. A problems to speak of (screen noise is only on some models, etc.).

EDIT And yeah, I do have a job. I've had one since I was thirteen, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford a Mac on my own.

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

My philosophy has always been to wait as long as possible before buying. Wehn i got my computers for school ni waited until about 2 weeks before it actaully started.

But in your case i say get it now. Your using a dell that in my opinion is not even a computer. Do what you have to do and get the computer, beg, steal (maybe not that), borrow, or get a job.

And most of your parents arguments are not very good. Most seniors grades drop a little ;) and you sounded like you did fine haveing your own computer before so this one should not make any difference.

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Hey, we share a birthday -- March 31st is my birthday, too! I'm...ahem, a few years older than you are, though. LOL!

In response to your carefully thought-out and carefully outlined situation it seems to me that if you're willing to negotiate with your parents about the ground rules in the beginning and if they're willing to negotiate with you, that there is no reason not to buy the MBP now. Otherwise, if they balk at it, you will just have to wait until you turn 18 and then you can use your money to buy the MBP just as you've planned.

Good luck!

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think any parent would be glad to receive a well written and thought out approach to a new computer purchase on the part of a high school senior such as this. So, whether or not you do get it, thanks for the encouraging thought that there are sharp, articulate students out there chomping at the bit to get on in life. Make your point, hold up your end with other responsibilities around the house, grades, don't whine, and your chances look good.

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I know how it feels to have parents to deal with. ;)

I'm very surprised that your parents will not allow you to get one, even after all the compromises you are willing to make. But if that's the way it is, either beg them to the point of annoyance OR just wait. I know how traumatic the waiting is, but once you move out to college in 6 months (?) you can do whatever you like and buy as many MacBook Pros as you like. The other advantage of this, is that a new rev. should be out with even more features and improvements.

Good luck!

11. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Cool! That aside, my parents haven't heard these reasons/conditions from me (except for the iPod sale and the DVD removal) yet, since I'm hoping to not give away my arguement strategy and maybe have the upper hand when we talk tomorrow night. I'm still not sure if my parents will approve of me buying it once I turn 18, since I haven't brought that up either, but I suppose we'll see.

Regarding the splurge for a minute, my mom was driving me home from school (I don't want a car, they're wastes of money for teenagers in my opinion, so I just drive their cars when I can) and I was talking about the MacBook Pro for a bit (I had read a review during lunch in the library that day; it's pretty much the only time when I can freely use the 'net unless I'm at home and nobody else is using the computer, like now) when she asked me if I had already bought it. Since they hadn't yet arrived in the stores, I laughed and explained that to her, but obviously she is/was kind of expecting me do just go there and buy it, even though I don't have a credit/debit card (my parents' fault again; one more month...), so perhaps they wouldn't react as strongly to me buying it once I turn 18? I do, however, would find it extremely for the night of the 18th...

EDIT

xsedrinam: I guess you might say that I've been this way for a while; I drew up contracts for my first iPod 2G and my iBook. I think that it is still a good idea since it's worked before; I'm going to present these reasons/conditions along with a signed and dated contract with room for them to sign, with the title of "I can get a MacBook Pro if:" or something like that.

max_altitude: My parents don't yet know about most of these reasons/conditions, save the iPod sale and the DVD restrictions. Though I'll leave for college in September, my parents have already said that will probably be "allowed" to buy the MacBook Pro once summer starts in June, however, I think that if I get it earlier, my grades will actually improve, since I'll be on a familiar system, won't have to work things out/deal with a crashed computer, and will have restricted-use conditions for a while that will greatly circumvent distraction.

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Maybe the reason they don't want to let you buy it, is because they're planning to get you one for your 18th?

13. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Maybe, maybe not. They usually aren't ones for big milestone birthday presents, but who knows? Perhaps they've been waiting for the right moment? For me, however, a great birthday present, whether in advance or not, would be just being allowed to buy it now and then get it on that day. I seriously wouldn't ask for anything else from them. Perhaps that's another arguement? "If I can get it under these conditions, it can be your sole birthday present to me," to which they will reply "Who says you're getting a birthday present?" I guess I know my parents a bit too well. :D

Still, it's something to hope for.

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Wow. I mean, you're making such great arguments. My heart goes out to you.

However, I respect that you're respecting your parents too. They are also trying to do the right thing. You seem to have done great in school. Well done. At this point, it's your college grades that are really going to be important IMHO. Nevertheless, you seem to still be dedicated to doing a great job. That is good to hear.

The MacBook Pro is an awesome machine. No question.

Keep in mind that they are pretty hard to get right now. Apple.com is taking weeks, and I'm sure the stores are running out too. You may have to wait a little bit, even if they approve in, during the next couple days.

For college, a notebook really makes sense, so that is good logic. Furthermore, the MacBook Pro should last a long time.

Ok, I'm just repeating everything you said. Your arguments are so solid, and I'm really impressed that you're willing to let your parents keep it under lock and key. I mean, geez, I think you should get a little play time with it on the weekends, or something. :) ha-ha.

Best wishes with everything. Nevertheless, hopefully you'll get it before college, so you'll have it to look forward to at some point.

15. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I'm willing to wait a few days:) . I've waited this long; a bit more can't hurt. Even if Apple.com shipped in 24 hours, I'd have to wait a few days. I was at the store tonight with my dad and little brother (we bought a game for our iMac for the little guy) and I saw the MacBook Pro for the first time since MWSF. I spoke to the guys there, and they're starting to come in more frequently, 1.83's especially (which is what I want to get), so hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Regarding the usage restrictions, I have a feeling that that's going to be one of the key factors in convincing them. Defeating distractions has been a problem for me, so I think that it will not only make them feel good about the arrangement, but it will actually benefit me too. I'm probably going to also propose that I would get it ASAP and then open it and migrate my stuff on a weekend or whatever, so as to minimize time spent on the MacBook Pro which could be used for homework or whatever. I'm willing to give up play-time with it until I'm 18, since it will help me keep my grades high enough so that when the 31st rolls around, I'll get the computer for sure.

16. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I just thought of an addition to my argument. I'm could tell them what could happen if I keep the Dell and wait for the MacBook Pro, i.e. I get less and less sleep having to wake up early/stay up late to print stuff or use a workable computer, and my grades slowly slip, or the Dell crashes while I'm doing an important assignment and I lose all my files, or whatever. Would that help or hurt my reasons/conditions argument?

17. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I would wait until late summer when Apple typically has great back-to-school deals. But, you're not me, so go for it.

18. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

if you're paying for it, i just don't get why you need to get permission first. :confused:

when i was 17, and i first got a job, i saved everything at first so i could buy an iPod. i bought the most expensive $499 + laser engraving 30GB one (this was right after the 3rd gen iPods came out). point being: it was my money, i bought it, thats it, i did not ask for permission to use my own money, i merely told my dad that i was purchasing it, and then proceeded. i don't presume to know how things in your family work, but i worked hard for my money, and i was always able to spend it as i please, whether or not my dad though i shouldn't purchase something, and anything else to me just seems ridiculous.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think a better way is to say "want" vice "need".

To the OP, it sounds more like a "want" than a "need".

Never buy on "want" if at all possible.

Suggest that you focus on your studies and get a new MacBook when revision 2 or 3 comes out.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No. If I were your parent based upon your argument presented, would just get you a good reliable memory stick (USB Thumb Drive). A whole lot cheaper and you can carry it with you to school and other places.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i have ADD and i can't manage to read all of this very wordy thread so i'll just say that if this is your money then calmly and tactfully remind them of that fact and let them know that this is what you want to get. assure them that it will not interfere with your studies (i hope it won't) but constantly fiddling with a piece of crap dell sure will. ;) say as little as possible, don't go brining up too much and give them too many rebuttals, they'll just dig their heels in more and more. be concise and decisive.

if they resist still, meet them halfway. get it in the summer when you aren't in school so you can get the excitement factor of having something new out of your system before school resumes. it's what i would recommend anyway but i understand impatience. ;)
    good luck!

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

DONT beg them, this will only make things worse (though this is how I finally made my parents buy the iMac im on right now :D Took me 1 year of serious whining ;))

What is "ADD" by the way?

23. California macrumors 68040

California

Secret of life:

even if your IQ is way higher than your parents';
    even if your buying the MBP logic is perfect;
    even if your money strategy is sound --

-- Parents are always right about us.

Especially when you are still under their roof.

You know that it could be a big distraction to getting work done. Heck, MR itself is a distraction.

That said, I'd get the new iBook before the new MBP and save some cash; but buy whatever you are going to buy at the end of the school year and after you have thoroughly talked it through with mom and dad --

so you have all summer to get the newness of the computer out of your system so you can buckle down at college.

mytwocentsonly

24. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Attention deficit disorder.