How do I copy a CD to CD?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by defora, Feb 9, 2006.

1. defora macrumors newbie

defora

Hello, I need to make an exact copy of a Data CD and I wondering if OSX 1.4.4 has it included or do I need to download some sort of software.

Thanks for your help!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the CD and then burn that back to as many CDs as you want.

Toast makes the process much easier (one click) but is a bit pricey...

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, you can do it in Disk Utility by making a disk image of the CD (use CD format for the image) and then burn that image to a new CD. Not the most elegant way, but it works. If it is simply a data CD it may be easier to just create a folder in Finder, copy the data contents to that folder, and then put in your blank cd-r and copy back from the folder to the cd in Finder, then click the little burn button (looks like a nuke sign) next to the cd. Toast 7 makes it easier, but it costs money.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you are going to be burning a fair amount of CDs, I highly recommend shelling out the cash for Toast. It is so much easier and nicer.

5. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Toast is a fantastic value for all the capabilities it gives you. I highly recommend it!

6. road dog macrumors regular

Agree with all the other posters re: Toast....

you could do it with the very basic burning in the OS... but worth getting Toast since it does it much easier and faster....

plus it can copy audio CDs... which you can't do with the OS... specifically restricted by Apple...

7. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

On a slightly related topic. If you have an external drive, can Toast let you copy on-the-fly from one drive to another without making an image first?

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Not directly you can't, but you can rip the CD and then burn a copy from the ripped tracks. Again Toast is much easier (of course).

9. road dog macrumors regular

Yes.

10. defora thread starter macrumors newbie

defora

Just bought toast and it works like a charm. Not too overpriced either.

thanks for the responses!