Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purduematt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
i just switched!!! bought a powerbook and i love it!

is it possible to copy a cd in finder, or without using toast? i've located the disk copy utility, but can't seem to figure it out. any help would be appreciated. thanks,

matt

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Make a folder. Drop the cd image into the folder. Eject the cd. Put in a blank cd. Drop the cd image onto the cd. Control click on the cd. Choose burn cd

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
in disk copy go to the Image menu and select make image from device and select your cd rom drive. If you are running mac os x(i'm not sure if the 9 version lets you) i know you can then select burn Image from the Image menu and kazzzam you have an exact copy of your image.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Copying CD's are easy.

Fellow Switcher:

I too wanted to copy some of my CD's to archive them.
It's really easy, all you need is Disk Copy and your set.
Here's how:

1)Insert the CD to copy and wait for it to mount on the desktop, then open up Disk Copy.
2)Then choose "Image" from the menu bar, and click on "New image from device"
3)The window that opens next should show you a list of physical devices like "Disk0" "Disk1" etc. Usually "Disk0" is you HD and "Disk1" is the CD.Here is a pic to show:
Picture1.jpg

The last column is "Description" and shows the actual name of the device/partition you want to copy such as Disk1 (the Data CD) so you can be sure you selected the right one (This is important if you partitioned you HD and want to image just that part)
Anyway, its safe to say on a laptop, Disk1 will probably always be your CD drive so just choose image, and choose the location, image type (CD master, Compressed, read/write etc) and encryption if you want...
Then it will image! And if you want to burn it again for a copy, just go back to disk copy and choose image>burn image.
Its that easy...You can even image your HD or partitions and encrypt it for archive/back-up purposes just use "df -k" in the terminal to make sure you selected the right partition.

Why people still pay for norton ghost I'll never know....

Anyway hope this helps

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
It's an easy and cheap way to archive your cd's if you don't want to fork out for toast, but I do recomend toast as it is a super program and lets do everything from copy cd's to makeing video disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.