How do I copy a DVD I have made with iDVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JW Pepper, Jan 29, 2003.

1. JW Pepper macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2002
    I have used a crop brqand of DVD-R and it won't play in my DVD player. I have no problems with Apple DVD-R's. My iMac can still read the original disk but using disk copy and imaging the disk and burning the image results in a dvd that won't play on either the Mac or the DVD player.

There must be a way to copy home made DVD's as ther arn't any copyright issues so how on earth do I do it? I don't want to change a thing, I don't want divx or anything like that I just want to keep it exactly the same with all the menus etc.
  2. TheT macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2002
    Did you try using the 'copy'-option in Roxio Toast? I think it'll make a 1-to-1 copy of almost anything... if you don't have 2 DVD drives, copy it to an image first (cmd-d) and then burn that image... works fine with every type of cds, i don't know about dvds though...
    Hope this helps! :)
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Fraid that won't work-- at least, i'm almost sure it won't. Toast will copy data DVDs but that's it.

I think you're kind of screwed here-- true, there are no copyright protections, but there are anti-copy measures in the very basis of how DVD's work. You'll probably have to rip the DVD, the way you would with a normal movie, but I don't know that you can do it full quality and keeping menus intact. Or, rebuild the DVD in iDVD...

sorry :(

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm not going to waste a DVD-r testing this (damn things are expensive), but Toast's disck copy feature did cache the data off my DVD. I don't know if it will burn a playable disc or not though. I know there is a way to do it, I just don't remember how. :)