How do I copy my entire iTunes library to a HD and then to another PB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ITR 81, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

I would like to copy my entire lib. of music with preferences and album covers to a new PowerBook.

I have an external HD that I can copy to but how do I copy and keep all my preferences(like which ones I checked off and which ones I didn't) and all the album covers.

This is for my business and all the music is ripped from my private collection of CD's.

TIA.

2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Very simple! :)

Just drag your Music folder on your home to your external HD and then to your PB. Replace the Music folder on the PB with the one on your HD and you are all set. Album covers are included on the .mp3 files, so nothing to worry about.

I do this frequently (PowerMac -> Powerbook)

Hope that helps!

3. ITR 81 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

So my preferences will stay the same right? As in my checked and un-checked music.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That information, along with all your other iTunes-specific things like the Grouping field, are stored in the iTunes database file, which lives in your Music folder. Therefore, if you copy the Music folder and everything in it, all your iTunes data will be preserved. The only thing that won't get transferred is any settings you made in the iTunes preferences dialog- those settings live in a different file: "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist" (where ~ is your home directory). iTunes has another preference file for equalizer settings: "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist". Both paths should be used without the "quotes".