How do I create a Tiger Universal Install DVD adapted from the Original Disks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevecarter, Oct 26, 2005.

1. stevecarter macrumors newbie

How do I create a Tiger Universal Install DVD adapted from the Original Disks and Burn it to DVD to allow installation of TIGER on any supported machine?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What do you mean? A retail copy of tiger should install on any supported system out of the box :confused:

3. stevecarter thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a copy of Tiger from ebay and apparently it will install only on an eMac. I have a G4. So, I did some extra looking around on ebay and found this-

This is an Original Apple Mac OS X 10.4 (TIGER) Full Version install/Restore DVD set. This is the set that ships with the new eMac. It is NEW OEM. Disks are labeled eMac. Disk set is in new, unused condition. It includes the Original Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Full install / Restore DVD's (2 Disks)-New, and Tiger Universal Install DVD adapted from Original Disks and Burned to DVD (not pictured) to allow installation of TIGER on any supported machine ( if you do not own an eMac).

So, I was wondering if it's easier to create new DVD's or try to return the DVD's to the seller.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You didn't buy a legal copy of OSX. If it will only install on an eMac then that copy is an eMac system restore CD/DVD and the copy of OSX on it is only licensed for the eMac that it came with.

Return it to the seller and buy a real, legal retail copy.

5. stevecarter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this bit of information. None of this was indicated to me at the time of sell. Unfortunately, I think I bought some useless disks. All sales are final.

Thanks
    Steve

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's eBay for you!

If you do some searching on Google you might find some way of turning those disks into the mentioned adapted DVD. I've not searched myself so no guarantees...

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can still file a complaint and wait for 6 months for a resolution. Either way, you still have the ability to stick it to the seller assuming he misled you with an invalid product description.

Have you tried contacting him?

8. stevecarter thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not tried to contact the seller. I'm just finding out that I cannot use these disks. So, I'll have to get that ball rolling.

Also, absolutely, the seller misled me into thinking this would work on my Mac.

Thanks everyone!
    Steve

9. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Yes, unfortunately it's the case that the "restore" discs for most systems have a customized version of the OS for your system and your system only. This is especially true of PC restore discs that have WinBlows on them with that 50-digit keycode and whatnot.

If you can't return it, you should still be able to fetch a bit of cash for it as it's the latest and greatest. You might even try to bring the discs to an Apple store, explain your situation and hope they take pity on you.

It's totally worth a shot. The worst thing that could happen is they'd laugh at you.