how do i defragment?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danerh, Nov 22, 2006.

1. danerh macrumors member

I am running the bootcamp utility... and with just 5GB of drive i am trying to partition, it says that files can not be moved etc, and i cannot carry on with the process. and so i figure i should defragment to get the space all in one section of my harddrive (as is my understanding of defragmenting...). I am reasonably new to mac computers though... how can i do this? or any other solutions?!
    Thanks!
    Dane.

2. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Well, that's your problem right there.

Boot camp requires that you have 5Gb free on the OSX volume in addition to what you want to use for boot camp. I'd get to deleting files.

3. danerh thread starter macrumors member

i have 15GB avaialble

Appologies for the confusion... i have 15GB available, but the partition i am trying to make FOR XP was set to the minium of 5GB...

4. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Well, I know OSX defragments small files by itself.

That being said, I don't know what it does with larger files. I've heard that Parallels installs can cause problems with Boot Camp, but apart from that I've got no real idea.

5. danerh thread starter macrumors member

****... i've just tried the demo of parallels today, but it didnt work out how i need it... hence this boot camp option... not good.

6. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Try wiping Parallels and everything related to the associated Windows install off your HD?

7. danerh thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i have already done that... i followed all the instructions. I know someone who has some disk warrior or something... but i'm finding nothing when searching google for any defragmentation software... hhmmph. Thanks though man... anything you can come up with!

8. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Mac OS X does defrag files automatically. But there is a difference between defragging and optimizing. Defragging takes all of the pieces of a file and literally, physically reassembles them in one contiguous location on the drive. That way the system doesn't have to perform a juggling act keeping track of all of the parts of a file. Again, OS X does this automatically, provided you have enough empty space for the Mac to work its magic.

Optimizing is the act of moving all defragged data files into one section of the drive, ditto for all fonts, all applications, etc. Optimizing will then give you a nice big, empty, contiguous space for a BootCamp partition.

You can optimize with a utility like TechTools. OS X can't optimize itself. That being said, you are going to have problems because you don't have enough free space to begin with. You need a bigger drive, a second drive or and external drive. Or you need to delete all of those YouTube videos!

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

By far, the easiest way to defrag a HD is to clone everything off it onto another drive, reformat the drive, and copy everything back over to it.

2 free/sharware apps for this are SuperDuper & CarbonCopyCloner. Both are extremely easy to use and reasonably fast & painless.......

both can be downloaded from www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com (look there for tons of other cool mac s/w too!)

10. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

So that's why Optimising your Computer after a Security/OS update takes so damn long.

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

not really, as that process is similiar but different in many ways than just simple defragging other files on your hd......

Of course the time required for either will increase with larger HD's too :p.
    But my 74GB Raptor (boot drive) usually takes about 8-10 mins to clone, and 5 or 6mins with the OS optimization. And my 160gb storage drive takes just under 2x that long.........

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Doesn't Boot Camp require at least 10GB for the Windows partition + a 5GB buffer?

Because then 15GB isn't going to be enough to keep ~8GB free on your HDD for decent virtual memory performance.