how do i delete all the cache files in my mac and how do i delete msn mess login name

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by masta d cva, Dec 28, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

hi there. i have a lot of friends using my mac and they login to the new messenger and now all there user names are saved and i cant get rid of them. i have tried deleting msn messenger user cache but it didnt work. is there a way to delete all the caches on the computer without resetting the system? thanks

2. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Open Keychain Access (in your /Applications/Utilities/) and see if you cannot find their usernames there...

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

messenger wasnt in there, but thanks anyway

4. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Edit: Don't you have an internet password named messenger.hotmail.com?

Attached Files:

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

no just for safari aim skype and email. there are only 4 in there. nothing for msn messenger

6. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok. Let's try another way: Quit Messenger (make sure no Messenger or MessengerDaemon processes are running, using Activity Monitor), locate the file ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/com.microsoft.MessengerDaemon.plist (where ~/ is your home folder) and trash/rename/move that. Then restart Messenger. :)

Note that your own username will be wiped, too...

7. macrumors 65816

Seasought

You can also use Cache Out X. It clears out your browser's cache and can delete your log files (if you want). I use it for general system tidiness.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mitthrawnuruodo: That got it! Thanks

Seasought: Thanks for that, it was awesome to get rid of all the crap in my browsers, but unfortunately it did not kill the user login names in Messenger.

I am sure there must be a why to delete the names without having to delete that file Mitt said, but I sure as hell cant find it. But I'm happy because I did manage to get rid of them for now.

Thanks again for you help!

9. macrumors 65816

Seasought

I'm glad things worked out for you. You could always automate the process by dropping those commands into a script file...and/or have it run everytime your machinei boots up.

10. macrumors 68030

FFTT

You can also go to Versiontracker and try Tiger Cache Cleaner.
    Very handy little application.