how do i delete programs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bmc1818, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bmc1818 macrumors member

I am somewhat new to os x, and want to know how to get rid of a program and all its files. On windows i know how, but on a mac what is the best way. I want to get rid of a program and make sure it hasnt left any unneeded programs on my macbook pro.

Thanks

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Get a program called AppZapper. It removes all the little system files associated with the application as well. Great piece of software.

3. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

you could use this, but it isn't free:
    http://appzapper.com/

or just use spotlight and search the application name (thats what i do sometimes) :p

it doesn't get every file but good enough for me

4. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

Is there a freeware alternative to appzapper besides deinstaller?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depending on the app, you should be able to simply drag it to the Trash, along with some of its associated files (do a search on your machine with Find or Spotlight for other files) and empty the Trash. :)

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Does anyone else think that the complete lack of native uninstalling utitlity in OS X is rather strange and a huge oversight on Apple's part?! Do they simply want you to keep every program you ever install? Even Windows has a Uninstaller.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In the vast majority of cases, you just drag the app to the Trash. Complex apps that scatter files around the system typically include uninstallers.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I actually don't think it's an oversight at all. Apple prefers that programs be self-contained packages, and thus easily uninstalled by dragging to the trash. Windows Uninstaller is horrid, it often doesn't list all of the programs I have installed, and can't remove all of the associated files anyways. I much prefer Apple's approach.

When I delete programs I almost always keep the associated preference files that are included, that way if I ever decide I want the program again, I can reinstall and have all of my old preferences back again, without reconfiguring. They only take up a couple KB of space, so it's no big deal.

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I see your point. I guess I just don't know that much about how OSX works. I didn't know that the only files that weren't included in the main program file were preference files of only a few KB's :eek:

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yep, that's the most effective method without installing an application like AppZapper.

And yeah, Windows' Add/Remove programs does suck. It usually always leaves files behind and a lot of the time even leaves folders and other stuff, too.