How do I diable HTML email in Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ee99ee, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Forgive me, I'm a new Mac user. I'm switching from Thunderbird to Mail.app. How do I disable HTML email?

According to Apple, it can be done by following these directions, however the option it mentions ("Display images and embedded objects in HTML messages") is not available. The only thing I see is "Display remote images in HTML messages," which I have unchecked, but HTML email is still coming through just without the images.

I have set Plain Text as the method of composition, however I want HTML email disabled for viewing as well.

How do I do this? I'm surpised the Apple documentation isn't accurate...

-Chris

2. x86 macrumors regular

x86

Here's a discussion on the topic in the apple fourms.

The documentation is actually correct, you are disabling HTML objects but not all HTML. This still provides the security level that you are probably looking for.

3. reh macrumors 6502a

Close Mail and then open Terminal (/Applications/Utilites/Terminal) and copy/paste the following:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.mail PreferPlainText -bool TRUE
    then hit the ol' enter key

That'll totally disable the display of HTML mail. Only the plain-text alternative will be displayed.

4. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

It's not a matter of security... it's a matter of me thinking that email should only be plaintext... if I want a webpage, send me a link, I'll open it in my browser... hehe

Thanks reh, that worked great!

-Chris

5. reh macrumors 6502a

You're very welcome. I was quite happy when I stumbled across that little gem. I should also note that if you ever need to see the HTML version of an email, you can go to View -> Message -> Next Alternative.

6. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Hear, hear!

7. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Hmmm... just upgraded to leopard and this trick doesn't seem to work. How do you disable HTML email in mail.app under Leopard?

-Chris

8. packeteer macrumors member

Same in Mail 4.5 under SL
    Mail.app really frustrates me sometimes!