Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skadd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
It also shows in the app switcher.
I know you could do this on iOS 9 in the iTunes and App Store settings.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
*based

And/or in the handoff and app suggestions screen in settings. Some suggestions are based on location, others on time, others on some actions, etc. Doesn't seem like at least some of those options are in iOS 10.

(By the way, you should be able to edit the thread title by using the little gear icon at the top right.)

Last edited:
Reactions: skadd

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does turning off Settings>Privacy>System Services>Location-Based Suggestions do what you want?

Reactions: skadd

At Sea

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2016
The Midwest, USA
Does turning off Settings>Privacy>System Services>Location-Based Suggestions do what you want?

I haven't seen any suggestions since this move so it "works thus far".

Update: The Location Based Suggestions still show up.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Another potential suggestion from another thread where this kind of thing was brought up is to disable Frequent Locations (and make sure to restart after that).

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There used to be an option for this under:
iTunes & App Stores > Installed Apps
General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > Installed Apps

Are neither not there anymore?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There used to be an option for this under:
iTunes & App Stores > Installed Apps
General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > Installed Apps

Are neither not there anymore?
Unfortunately it doesn't seem any of those Installed Apps options are there anymore in iOS 10 (at least not so far).

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
If anyone stumbled on this thread looking to turn this off in iOS 10, I figured it out and came back to spread the word. It's here:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Location-Based Suggestions (toggle OFF)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If anyone stumbled on this thread looking to turn this off in iOS 10, I figured it out and came back to spread the word. It's here:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Location-Based Suggestions (toggle OFF)
Seems like that was already discussed earlier in the thread and didn't change things (at least not for some people).

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Seems like that was already discussed earlier in the thread and didn't change things (at least not for some people).

Worked for me. I also turned off "Frequent Locations" under the same Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services menu, so that might be the one that fixed it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Worked for me. I also turned off "Frequent Locations" under the same Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services menu, so that might be the one that fixed it.
Yup, part of what has also been suggested earlier in the thread. Seems like those things aren't necessarily doing the trick for everyone (unless they aren't really trying them all).

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Yup, part of what has also been suggested earlier in the thread. Seems like those things aren't necessarily doing the trick for everyone (unless they aren't really trying them all).

Did they not work for you? I'm not sure the point of you saying it didn't work if it's not a first-hand experience? We can play guessing games all day if they missed a step or didn't reboot, but not sure of the point if they've left the thread.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did they not work for you? I'm not sure the point of you saying it didn't work if it's not a first-hand experience? We can play guessing games all day if they missed a step or didn't reboot, but not sure of the point if they've left the thread.
Simply pointing out what has already been brought up in relation to them in the thread.

I have all those and many more settings disabled and haven't had any suggestions pretty much ever (in iOS 10 or prior to it) as I personally don't care for them. But that's neither here nor there for others who seem to want to be getting them and are trying to disable them.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
I have all those and many more settings disabled and haven't had any suggestions pretty much ever.

Okay, great, so what are you adding to the conversation? If it's not new data about things you tried and you still getting the suggestions, then it's needless contrarianism. It seems the ones who had trouble with it have bounced out of the thread, which I've found usually means they retried the steps and it worked out so they no longer care about the thread, but it anyone is still having trouble, let them speak up so we can help them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Okay, great, so what are you adding to the conversation? If it's not new data about things you tried and you still getting the suggestions, then it's needless contrarianism. It seems the ones who had trouble with it have bounced out of the thread, which I've found usually means they retried the steps and it worked out so they no longer care about the thread, but it anyone is still having trouble, let them speak up so we can help them.
You brought up things that were previously brought up with feedback from some users about them, and I simply pointed those previous discussions out in relation to what you brought up. Nothing more, nothing less.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
You brought up things that were previously brought up with feedback from some users about them, and I simply pointed those previous discussions out in relation to what you brought up. Nothing more, nothing less.

I added another data point that they *did* work for me, contravening the posts that previously stated they hadn't worked so that someone coming along later wouldn't ignore the suggestion out of hand. If you have anything new or helpful to add, please add it, otherwise I have no idea why you're in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.