How do i do a clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theipodgod16, Apr 20, 2004.

1. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

I want to re-install panther with a fresh install to free up disk space and to hopefully get rid of quite a few errors i'm getting. how do i backup my stuff? do i just copy my whole user folder to my ipod? do i need to copy anything else? application folder? library?

once ive backed up my files, then what do i do from there? do i go in disk utility and erase my HD completly? can someone guide me through this process?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

you know there is an option called "Erase and Install" on the Panther install disk :p

3. theipodgod16 thread starter macrumors 6502

so all of my settings, pictures, safari bookmarks, itunes playlists, and whatnot will all be contianed in that one user folder? this is a lot easier than windows, thanks!

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

not ALL.
    Some of your settings might be in /Library, not ~/Library (ie desktop images, screensavers, system stuff...etc.). Plus you have to reinstall your applications unless you back up the drag-n-drop apps from /Applications.
    Don't use Disk Utility to erase a disk. It's just easier to select the option in the OS X installer, saves you time, effort.

5. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Would the same process work if I was to install a brand new HD in a PB?

Is the ability to boot from the CD-ROM built into the firmware?

6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Just use the Panther disk to do an "Archive and Install." It will compress all your old stuff and save it separate then do a clean install saving the compressed file.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Archive and Install doesnt compress all of your old stuff. It only moves some of the folders on your current install to a folder called Previous Systems, and it replaces all the old system files with the new ones. Not a good way to go, because it screws up all your permissions, which can be easily fixed, but in the long run slows down your machine quite noticeably. Plus its a hassle to get rid of the Previous Systems folder sometimes, you need to do an rm -rf in terminal.app. If you don't want to drag your stuff back to where they are supposed to be, delete the remaining junk and deal with a somewhat slow computer and other stuff like that, be my guest, do an archive and install.
    A backup and an erase and install is much easier and cleaner, just do it.

the cd boot question: as long as you have a hard drive of some sort, its going to work. You can also boot from a firewire external hard drive (ie the iPod) or a network drive iirc.