How do I do this with my iPod?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sandman42, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Just got my first iPod. I bought it not only because it's a really cool music player, but also because I could use it as a backup drive for my iBook. I have no problem syncing it with my iTunes and using it as a Firewire HD, but I want it to do all this *and* be a bootable volume.

I've read how to install OS X on the iPod HD, and tried using Carbon Copy Cloner to make the iPod a bootable copy of my computer's HD, but both of these methods require you to format the iPod first. Problem is, that erases the iPod system software, and re-installing that erases the iPod again.

So, it would seem that I can only have one or the other, but I just don't believe that. Is there a way to format the iPod as a bootable drive that mirrors my computer's HD and works as a music player?

(BTW it's a 40Gb iPod and I only have a 20Gb HD on my computer, so there's plenty of room on the iPod for both)

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think it might be something to do with the iPod being formatted in FAT32 (for Windows AND Mac compatibility) while Mac OS X can only be installed on volumes that are formatted in HFS+. So I'm not sure you can do it. But I might be wrong.

3. bograt69 macrumors newbie

what about partitioning the ipod hard drive and formatting one part as FAT32 and the other as HFS+?

would this be possible?

Mike

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I did this before, you do not have to reformat your drive to use Carbon Copy Cloner. Check your settings or you are doing some unessecary step.

Word of warning. The iPod is not designed to be booted from. Booting from it will decrease its over all life.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Eh, it is a hard drive, and although it may decrease overall life I don't think it would do that much damage. If you used it constantly, then maybe. But for the occasional "oh, %$*&" situations, then it would be fine.

6. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Thanks, all.

I thought you had to format first to use CCC. If not, then that's my answer. I'll try it.

As far as using it to boot: I don't plan to do that except in an emergency. My iBook's getting a little long in the tooth, and I've got a lot of stuff on it. Most of it's backed up to CDs, but I like the security of being able to breathe life into my computer if the HD fries.