How do i edit the size of pictures?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wirelessimports, Mar 24, 2005.

1. wirelessimports macrumors member

I just got a Mac Mini and converted from PC... So how do i change the size of pictures i have?

Like I want to shrink a few pics to make smaller, on a PC id just use MS Paint, what does OSX have?

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

OS X does not have something like paint that comes with it, there are a few free apps that you can download.

3. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

4. Italiano macrumors newbie

Using Iphoto (under share) select EXPORT and then type in the size you like

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can also try Graphic Converter, and it's just $30 shareware if you decide to keep it after a trial period...

For more advanced stuff Gimp is freeware (you need X11 installed, but the app functions like most other apps), almost as powerful but not quite as easy to use as Photoshop. BTW: Photoshop Elements is a VERY good deal...

6. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Import them into iPhoto then either export them or email them and choose a small size. If you choose email you get a choice of small medium large and full size. If you choose export (under the share menu), change the file type to jpg and them scale them

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

There is ToyViewer. It is a great free applications that has been around for years.

You can find the manual/documentation for it here.

Some of it's ability from the ToyViewer Overview:
    • ToyViewer can read and display image files in following formats:
      tiff, gif, bmp, png, jpg, jbig(bie), pcx, pcd, pict, pnm (ppm, pbm, or pgm), xbm, mag, SUN Rasterfile, JPEG2000(jp2, jpc, j2k), and other formats supported by Mac OS X.
    • Displayed images can be saved in following formats: tiff, pdf, gif, bmp, png, jpg, JPEG2000, jbig(bie), pnm, or xbm.
    • ToyViewer can attach a custom icon to any file as well as newly saved image file.
    • ToyViewer can read and write gif or png files with transparent color, and also can read and write interlaced(progressive) gif, png, or jpg files.
    • ToyViewer can scan (auto-display) image files in a folder. You can also display images in full-screen size.
      Displayed images can be scaled (enlarge/shrink).
    • You can rotate, flip, or clip images.
    • ToyViewer has ability to fix automatically the balance of colors. You can also adjust brightness, contrast, color tone of images.
    • ToyViewer has some typical operations to images, such as enhancement, mosaic, embossing, and so on.
    • You can replace specified color with other color or transparent color.
    • Full color images can be reduced into 256, 64, or 8 colors. Also, each color value of images can be cut down to 4, 2, or 1 bit.
    • ToyViewer can make images monochrome (8bit gray, 2bit gray, or bilevel).
    • Images can be printed. An image is automatically shrunk to be printed on a sheet, or divided into some pages.
    • You can set ToyViewer to display any image format if there is a filter program to ppm format.
    • ToyViewer provides image conversion filter services for other applications.
    • You can add comments to images (comments are written into only gif, png, jpg, or pnm formats).
    • You can make Aqua-button-like images.
    • ToyViewer provides the function of Drop-Shadow.
    • If you like a displayed image, you can make it the Desktop picture (wallpaper) of your Mac.

Also I did a quick overview of ToyViewer on my site which you can find here.

9. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

If you have Quiktime Pro open PictureViewer in Classic [os9] open your jpeg change the size or crop then save, can then "get info" and change to open with Preview as default, if no QT Pro then any of the above posts

10. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

thanks to everyone for your help and advice, just one last thing. Besides cropping the size anyone know which one of these will allow me to do some major editing like adding text or a watermark, taking 2 pictures and putting them side by side with each other and saving them in one file?

Lastly, if im not being too greedy here, one that is very simple to use since im a moron at working a computer.

Thanks again to everyone whose made some reccomendations.

By the way, how is photoshop for idiots? easy to use?

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

The Gimp is a free open source version of PS really, so if you want to give it a go i would try that out, you will have to install X11 though to run it, but its a good app all around and can do just about, if not all tht things you mention

12. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

I agree it's what I use, might take a bit getting used to it but nothings ever really easy http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/, don't forget about X11 though, it's on the Mac OS X DVD, load that first ;)

13. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

As the others have already pointed out, there are many applications, some free and others not, that you can use to edit the size.

Remember one thing though, not all photo editing software is created equal i.e. some will do a great job and others not so good.

If quality is important to you, go with PhotoShop Elements. Reducing the size of your photos with it will result in the least amount distortion (digital artifacts) and hence give you the best results.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is also a full-function, limited time trial version of Photoshop Elements 3 on the Adobe website. I was using GIMP, and I liked it so much, that I just bought it. GIMP is very nice, and very powerful, but there are some things about the way it's implemented on MacOS that I don't care for.

15. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Thumbs up is a good application and it's really quick and easy to use. But if you want to add text and other things I would definitly recommend Photoshop Elements 3. It's a very powerful application for it's $79 dollar price tag (Or something like that).