How do I erase a Mac OS Extended Partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XIII, Sep 25, 2006.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hey all..

Quite a simple question - I made a partition on my disc using Boot Cam assistant, then formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and installed a version of OS X on it. Now I want to delete that partition, and the version of OS X.. how can I do this? Boot camp assistant won't let me because of how the partition is formatted.

Thanks in advance. :)

Jack

2. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I'm going to bump this; my friend has a 5.8GB Microsoft Basic Partition-formatted partition on his 120GB MacBook Pro HDD. He wants to get rid of it without having to completely wipe and reformat his HDD; how am I supposed to help him do this (for free, preferably...)? We also happen to be studying abroad in a country that doesn't have a physical Apple Store, let alone an online store.

Thanks!

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

Have you tried Disk Utilities?

Edit: Heck, you can probably even try Windows fdisk. A partition is a partition, the tool doesn't need to know how to read it, only how to destroy it :)

4. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Ok, heres what I did.

Inserted my OS X disc that came with the iMac, booted from it, and ran Disk Utility off of it. Reformatted the partition as FAT32. Restarted, opened boot camp assistant, used it to delete the partition again. :) Bingo. :)