How do I escape an application without close it when it is running full screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gallyjh, Dec 30, 2006.

1. gallyjh macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2006
    So I just bought a Mac, and have been using a Windows PC my whole life. One thing I've learned as a windows user is to escape out of an application at any time when I just hit ctrl-esc or alt-tab. What is the equivalent for OSX? In particular, when I'm playing World of Warcraft at full screen sometimes I receive instant messages in the background, and the only way to get to them seems to be fully exiting Warcraft. I can't seem to just command-tab to it. Is there a way to get back to my desktop? I felt I've tried every command-button combination can't find it. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

Nov 2, 2006
    Are we there yet?
  3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Would command-M minimize Warcraft? I don't know if it works on games...
  4. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I'm in the same boat as you gallyjh Used Windows for a while,and got used to minimizing games with the windows key...
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
  6. Chanabra macrumors member

Dec 19, 2006
    Run WoW at windowed mode anyway: command+m; you'll get higher FPS and can read your IM's if you have it positioned in a certain way.
  7. gallyjh thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2006
    Thanks for the input. The only thing that seems to work is command-M which puts it in a framed window, but then atleast I can hit command-H which will minimize it. Kind of a hack around it. But it works.

I would run it in a frame but I actually get slower fps then when I run fullscreen.
  8. paintballer macrumors regular

Nov 27, 2006