How do I exit out of fullscreen mode?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by TheStranger55, Aug 3, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Jul 26, 2007
    Sometimes when I play games in full screen mode, I wanna access the desktop again without exiting the program. In windows I could just press alt-ctrl-del, but I can't find any equivalent in mac os x. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    cmd-tab might allow to reach other applications inside of a game. I've done this before, and it's worked. I don't play too many (full screen) games on my macs, so I don't know what other options there are, once you're already in full screen mode.
  3. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    typically it depends on the game more than anything else.

sometimes Command+Tab will work. other times, not.

i know for WoW its Command+M to bring it to windowed mode at least.
  4. macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I don't condone using it for this purpose (mostly because it isn't even kind of the same thing as Alt-Ctrl-Delte in Windows), but the Mac equivalent is Command+Option+Escape...
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jul 26, 2007
  6. macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I know its not exactly what you were looking for. But its important to mention that some games are difficult to quit once in fullscreen mode.

ctrl+Q that should do the trick to quit the game from full screen mode, but the game will quit completely.
  7. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Aug 11, 2010
    I always Alt-Tab out of fullscreen Windows Games, surely the Mac equivalent works like that too?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2010
    A lot of programs use Command+F to to switch to a windowed-mode, then revealing the menu bar so that you can go back to full-screen after doing other things on your Mac. In some cases, the game even pauses when you click away from the windowed version.
  9. rovingcam, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2011
    Exit full screen mode

command shift f will do it and it will also take you into full screen mode, at least from google chrome.

10. r0k
    macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008

I was stuck in full screen chrome and of course cmd f brings up search so I was happy to stumble across cmd-shift-f in this thread. It worked fine. Of course I could use cmd tab to get to finder windows which would come up in front of the still full screen chrome that had now become my desktop wallpaper. Weird.

The backwards scrolling is weird as well. Before dumping it, I think I'll dust off that magic mouse I have sitting in a drawer and see if Lion makes it more of a pleasure to use than my trusty logitech bluetooth mouse.