How do I format and reinstall OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elhammond, Aug 10, 2006.

1. elhammond macrumors newbie

elhammond

Hey guys, I am fairly new to MAC and I was wondering if there was a step-by-step how-to format a MAC and reinstall the OS? Please help :)

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

sure, i'll write one

1. insert os x disc
    2. shut down mac
    3. restart mac, holding c key down
    4. use disk utilities, and format disk to your liking, if you like writing 0's 35 times then do it!
    5. get something to drink, maybe a little bite to eat
    6. install os x to the disk you just formated (and maybe partitioned if you wanted to)
    7. you're done!

3. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

As written above!

PS its Mac not MAC, thats sounds like an acronym, when its an abbreiviation... Not really a prob, but it kinda looks wrong...:p

Have fun reinstalling!

Cheers

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FYI, if you plan to overwrite 35x (which is complete overkill in my opinion unless you're trying to get rid of nuclear launch codes), grab a whole fridge full of stuff to eat and a bed because the process will take several days.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The first thing you need to know as a new Mac owner (other than, it isn't spelled all caps ;)) is that you should never have to reformat and reinstall OSX, unless something really terrible happens, like the hard drive fails.

Welcome to the Mac, and be prepared to leave some of those Windows survival tools behind!

6. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

7. tsiong macrumors newbie

I will be getting a used MBP. Is it really true that I don't need to format it? But I want to start fresh though...

8. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Yes it is true that you will rarely, if ever, need to format it. If you want a fresh start though, go for it.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In my opinion, you absolutely need to format before you start using it. There's no way to know what the original owner left behind. At the very least, there'll be a lot of junk.

10. GlenNard macrumors newbie

Would anyone be able to tell me...

If my hard drive is beginning to run out of space and seemingly slower, would it make sense to reformat to get rid of all the junk I may have put on it for 5 years? Or, is it slowing down because I need to replace it? :eek:

:apple: OS X 10.6, Macbook Pro

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It could be a combination of all of those things. HDD's also slow down as they get full. As long as you backed up, reformatting isn't going to hurt anything.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I'd say that's the one situation where you absolutely should format and reinstall.

If your drive is actually low on space, that can cause issues. However, the "junk" that's on there isn't slowing it down in any other way. Keep that in mind.

jW

13. Scarface Pacino macrumors newbie

Hi guys i bought a laptop from a person and have a problem. The problem is i don't have the CD. Mac Book 4.1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ GMA X3100 Mac OSX 10.5.8 on mac 1.1.3 has a serial number i wrote and a number on the Hard. I reformatted it and tried putting a 10.6.6 disc version 1.0 but it says can't be put on this operating system. Why isn't working? What the big deal changing from 10.5.8 to 10.6.6 isn't it the same thing like Windows XP service pack 1 to 2, what wrong with it.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Because you think wrongly! 10.5.x is Leopard. 10.6.X is Snow Leopard and 10.7 is Lion.

They are NOT all like XP service packs!!! You can almost equate 10.6.5 to 10.5.6 as a "service pack".

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

The install disks for the Mac are machine model specific; they are grey and only work on the model they ship with. In other words an iMac grey disk will not install on a MBP; you will get the message "osx cannot be installed on this computer". I would suggest you buy a retail disk.

16. Scarface Pacino macrumors newbie

So basically it's a different version like for example 10.5.x is Leopard like Windows XP, 10.6.X is Snow Leopard like Windows Vista, 10.7 is Lion like Windows 7

----------

What retail disk do i need to buy anywhere in Australia, does it have to be 10.5.8 like the one that was on the computer. I have a screen with nothing as i used that remove data on the utility that removed all the folders and what was on it from the previous owner.

17. Sc00tr macrumors regular

Correct

Any retail disk of the OS that you want to install. Lion is the latest, but some people want to stay on Snow Lep. If your new to Mac I would recommend Lion.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

Lion is only available as download or as USB flashdrive. No DVDs.

19. Scarface Pacino, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Scarface Pacino macrumors newbie

Thanks, forget the Download that like 6 gigs, how much is the USB flashdrive and is that a full install or upgrade. I deleted the operating system, so i guess no upgrade will work, only full install.

I tried looking on here, they only had a upgrade on Snow Leopard http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC573Z/A

Is this what you suggest ? http://store.apple.com/au/product/MD256Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA
    ----------

[/COLOR]
    Thanks.

20. Sc00tr macrumors regular

They both contain the full install, and will work just fine. Lion is the latest and will have support moving forward.

21. xuzhin macrumors newbie

thanks for the breakdown.

I registered to get some help here.

I own a 2011 17" macbook pro and i'm currently on vacation but have quite a bit of time on my hands, so I figured I would do the 35x formatting, but I don't have my installation cd. what I do have though is a copy of the os x lion installation file that I baught from the app store, on an external hard drive.

is it possible to copy that file to a USB stick or such and complete the formatting and installation process from the USB drive?

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

35x formatting is a total overkill.

23. xuzhin macrumors newbie

i understand that much, I just want to make sure all the old stuff that was on there is gone for good, without leaving any unnecessary traces.

will the process be possible with an external drive or a USB stick?

how would I make a USB stick bootable?

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

By following the steps in the MacWorld article: How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive.

25. flyster macrumors newbie

Is it possible to do an erase and install on a 10.5.8. I have bits and bobs missing off this mac including disk utility . A guy i know said he can do this and install lion so long as i have an external hard drive to back up my files, also i would need to reformat my hard drive the manufacturer is iomega. does anyone now how i can do that.

Many thanks.