How do I get a PowerBook to communicate with a G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SheerGold, Apr 20, 2006.

1. SheerGold macrumors member

I have a G5 and a PC connected via a router.
    Plus there are PowerBooks that communicate via their internal Airport cards and the router.

I can connect to the internet from the PowerBooks.
    BUT I have not yet found out how to make the PowerBooks communicate with the G5.

Anyone know how to make the PowerBooks communicate with the G5?

ALSO: can I remotely from one of the PowerBooks (or even from the PC) modify a document (e.g. add text to a Word document) that is on the G5? :confused:

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Go into System Preference > Sharing, make sure sharing is on. Remember the afp:\\ address that is listed at the bottom (may need it later). Go into networks on your other computer, System Preferences > Networks and you should see your first computer there. Once you put in your appropriate user name and password and selected the drive/user that you want to mount you should be able to transfer and edit all the files you want. If you don't see your newly shared computer in networks open up Safari and type in the afp:\\ address and this should stimulate OS X to actually see the shared computer.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

not to nitpick but this may make a difference, it's afp:// and not afp:\\ (we're not in windows! :p :D )

also, be aware addresses like afp://computername.local don't always work cross platform.

and you might wanna look into vnc (aka apple remote desktop), which is also in the sharing panel. enable it, and let VNC users control it with a password...then go download Chicken of the VNC or any other similar app (look on macupdate or versiontracker) and check it out.

Also you could just enable ssh on both machines and use scp to grab said Word file, edit it, and send it back :D (or ftp, or windows sharing, or afp..)

Everything listed above works as long as all the computers are on the same network.

edit: hold it, im not sure those directions from neocell work...

If anything, you SHOULD see the other computers on the same network in the Network part of Finder, if not, go to View > Connect to Server (i think, i'm not near a mac right now, but the option IS in one of the menus) and type in "afp://(address to other computer)" in the applicable box and hit Connect. It should show little progress bar, and then (usually) ask you how you want to login to the other computer (enter username and password, or login as guest), and then it'll ask you which volume to mount (it'll give you at least the user folder to mount (the active username) or the entire drive, or anything else mounted on the computer). Mount the applicable drive, and go from there.