How do I get album artwork for songs iTunes can't find?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by McPaul, Jan 15, 2007.

1. McPaul macrumors member

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

i use Amazon to find alot of the artwork.

3. dhlvrsn macrumors newbie

I used amazon, half, the artists web sites and... a scanner. On a couple of my CD singles I was lazy and just used some generic photo of the artist. Even on the iPod the picture isn't all that large unless you hit the enter button while the song is playing.

4. splank macrumors newbie

splank

I just went through and got all my album art with my new macbook, I would use google if I wanted to find hi-res photos, but amazon worrked fine for all the boring covers. They all are puny on my iPod screen anyways, not like I use coverflow except to look at my spent hours of broedom. :D

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Use gimmesometune. It will auto-download album art for any song you play, with zero human intervention :cool:. Oh, and it is free.

6. McPaul thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses thus far.
    I've tried gimmesometune and the widget, great concepts, but they couldn't find the artwork either.

The yvg thing was windows only.

I'd use amazon or google, but wouldn't know how. How do you get the artwork there into iTunes?

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

gimmesometune already looks up album art on amazon.

8. Labi macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me where are these files stored in iTunes or how do I put them back if I have to reinstall OS.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I get my album art from different sources iTMS, Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Google Images and Discdogs are the most usual sources, but I've actually have had to use a scanner every now and then. :eek:

Album art fetched from iTMS for imported music is stored within ~/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork/.

Artwork pasted into the library from other places (or technically from iTMS if you do a cut and paste with the downloaded art) is embedded into the music files, and as long as you've backed up all your music (and preferably the Music Library file, even though it doesn't actually have anything to do with album art) it will still be there after a reinstall.

(On a related note: Reinstalling Mac OS X is very rarely needed! If you have specific problems, try to get help for those. And even if you have to reinstall, in most cases you can use the Archive and Install option that reinstalls the system without touching your data (including your music) or 3rd party applications. Still: Backup is a good idea, even then... ;))

10. Meatball macrumors regular

I scan in any album covers iTunes doesn't have :) Canoscan 8400f does a good job of it :)

11. McPaul thread starter macrumors member

ok so it appears the album covers are so vague that amazon doesn't have them. sounds like I should grab myself a scanner!

12. Labi macrumors regular

Thanks a lot Mitthrawnuruodo.