How do I get my AOL mail in Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Plymouthbreezer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

How do I get my AOL mail to come to Mail? Is it even possible? :confused:

2. mac-er macrumors 65816

Here are instructions to set up AOL mail to work with Outlook Express. I would assume it would work with Mail if you can do it in Outlook Express.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The instructions for MacO X Mail are very similar. However, I believe that AOL no longer supports IMAP even though it still works in a fashion. I can receive, but not send AOL mail via MacOS X Mail. My guess is that the system was overwhelmed by SPAM. At any rate, you might consider using AOL's AOL Communicator as an alternative to Mail. It fully supports POP3 and IMAP in addition to full support of AOL mail. I don't use it, but it is the best option for unifying your AOL mail with your other accounts.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

No you can still send; you just need a special port number for outgoing mail that is authenticated via your AOL login info.

5. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

How would I go about that?

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

Well, one would suggest you either contact AOL or search for it using their help system. Simple as that.

7. bigdz68 macrumors member

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It seems that AOL has changed its access settings at least twice. The settings that I used to initially setup AOL in Mail are not the same as those that now appear on AOL's website. The ones that the Assistant sets up for you are not the same as either of the others. The new ones work. The original ones work in a fashion. However, the settings published on AOL's website do not work.

9. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

But AOL Help usually stinks... People here are much more helpful. ;)

bigdz68, thanks so much for that app, it worked great!

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'll have you know that when I asked for help here, I got no help at all but when I called AOL for help, they were better than anyone else. They were even better than the Apple tech that I had to call later that morning.