How do I get my files off of my powerless powerbook g4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CatApple, Jul 1, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Long story short my powerbook has been damaged directly on the power outlet corner. I am unable to plug the power cord in and I was planning on getting a new macbook this month. So do I need to take out the hard drive (i'm ignorant at this!) or can I connect it to my mac mini somehow to get the files off. It is to beat up and since I am planning on buying a new one I don't see the need to send it off or have it repaired. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

If there is no power to the PB, then you must take the hard drive out, no other way around it unless you have a friend who has another PB and a charged battery, but that only lasts so long.

Best of luck.

3. macrumors 68000

topicolo

Just pull out the hard drive on the powerbook, plug it into an external enclosure or something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392022 (it's a plug in socket for hard drives) and plug it via USB into any working computer and you should be able to read all your files again--unless your hard drive has also been fried, in which case you'll have to send it in to an expensive disk recovery firm.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! I'm going to order it today. Thanks for yalls help!

5. macrumors 65816

agentphish

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-15-Inch-1-5-1-67-BT-2-0-LR/Hard-Drive/64/7/

Go there for instructions on how to remove the drive, assuming you have the same pbG4 that I do, otherwise look at their other guides.

Good luck.... You can also go to radioshack and get a screwdriver with a replaceable bit set that will fit all the tiny ass apple screws.

The phillips size is 00 and I can't remember what the Torx size is, but its included with that screwdriver set and its like 10 bucks. Best 10 bucks i ever spent too.

6. macrumors 65816

merl1n

I believe the Torx size is a T8.

7. macrumors regular

get a magnatised phillips screwdriver :)

best 20 bucks I ever spent