Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
When I first got my mac I clicked something (maybe in Disk Utility?) that makes the icon for my hard drive show up on my desktop. How do I get it to where it doesn't show up anymore?

Also, I have Picasa on here, but when I try to remove the icon from the desktop it says it will get rid of the application. Is there a way to get rid of the icon without uninstalling it?

Thanks!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Finder > Preferences > General
FinderPreferences2.png

Picasa is obviously the disk image (.dmg) which you mounted via double clicking the downloaded .dmg file. As you probably start the Picasa application from the mounted disk image instead of the Applications folder, you can't eject the mounted disk image while the application is still running.

Close Picasa, copy the Picasa application from the mounted disk image to your Aplications folder, eject the disk image, and maybe even delete the downloaded .dmg file if you want. Then start Picasa from the Applications folder or use Spotlight (CMD+Spacebar).

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
Finder > Preferences > General
FinderPreferences2.png

Picasa is obviously the disk image (.dmg) which you mounted via double clicking the downloaded .dmg file. As you probably start the Picasa application from the mounted disk image instead of the Applications folder, you can't eject the mounted disk image while the application is still running.

Close Picasa, copy the Picasa application from the mounted disk image to your Aplications folder, eject the disk image, and maybe even delete the downloaded .dmg file if you want. Then start Picasa from the Applications folder or use Spotlight (CMD+Spacebar).

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Thanks! I got both of them off. Thanks for the links, too. Quick question--should Disk Utility show up in my System Preferences? Because the only way I can find it is with Spotlight, and I thought when I used it for my external hard drive that it was in System Prefs.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks! I got both of them off. Thanks for the links, too. Quick question--should Disk Utility show up in my System Preferences? Because the only way I can find it is with Spotlight, and I thought when I used it for my external hard drive that it was in System Prefs.

Disk Utility is its own application found via Spotlight or Finder > CMD+SHIFT+U or Finder > new window (CMD+N) Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.

Thus it should not show up in System Preferences.

System Preferences in Mac OS X 10.6
system-preferences_10a354-snowleopard.png

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
Disk Utility is its own application found via Spotlight or Finder > CMD+SHIFT+U or Finder > new window (CMD+N) Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.

Thus it should not show up in System Preferences.

System Preferences in Mac OS X 10.6
system-preferences_10a354-snowleopard.png

Ok thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.